Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Keepers of a Legacy.

Main Entry: 1leg·a·cy
Pronunciation: \ˈle-gə-sē\


1 : a gift by will especially of money or other personal property

2 : something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past



I love that Obama calls us 'Keepers of a Legacy'. We Americans ARE keepers of a legacy; a gift that we've received from our predecessors...from patriots, colonists and poor families traveling by boat over rough waters. The gifts; liberty, justice, freedom, patience, perseverance. But in another sense, we're the keepers of a legacy that has yet to be passed down. And each of us has a legacy to hand down. I see that in my children daily. I see the the legacies that I've passed onto them in their very genes. I see Mara's laugh lines, just like her daddy. I see my eyes in Isaac. I see their behaviors imitating us, for better or worse. When Mara comforts Isaac "It's okay, hon." And when Isaac pulls his hat down low over his eyes, just like Dad. The genetic and behavioral legacies have already been passed down. They're ingrained, built right into the fabric of their little bodies.

But what of the legacies we have yet to pass; the one we're creating right now? I think about that quite often. When I'm gone, what will I leave my children? What item of value will I give to them? And what I've decided is that there will likely be no material goods to fight over. No property, no fine jewelry other than the simple band I wear everyday. No valuable pieces of art or expensive homes. My legacy will be so much more valuable.

The legacy I want to leave my children is one of ability. The ability to take care of themselves, to be do-it-yourselfers, and to create a life out of a simple piece of land. The know-how to plant a tiny seed, tend it when necessary and have the patience to let it flourish.

My legacy will be one of independence; to find their own ways in life, but to not forget the old paths; those old paths are worn smooth for a reason, kids. It will be the courage to forgo the popular route and follow their hearts down the path they feel is theirs.

My legacy will be one of simplicity; the love of a simple life, simple clothes, simple food and simple enjoyment. I hope they never forget summers of laying on a quilt under the tree in the backyard. Of catching fireflies. Of building snowmen. Picking berries and eating them warm, right off the vine.

I keep that legacy for them each day, when we choose to live a simple life. When we turn off the TV and refuse to buy the newest gadget just because so and so has one. I keep that legacy when we shun pop culture for simple entertainment. When we walk hand in hand to the garden to pick produce for our dinner. When we sow together and when we reap together. When we bake bread together. When we eat together. When we enjoy simple luxuries like a soft blanket and warm cup of tea. That's my legacy to my children. Satisfaction in a simple, humble life.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I thought of you today when I was doing the carts at work....there was a bumper sticker that said something to the effect of "20 years from now, no one will care what size my house was, all that matters is what I taught my chidren" Only I am TOTALLY garbling it, but you get the idea. And I thought of you and canning & gardening and went "yeah!!!"

Andrea said...

That's sweet of you Meg! In the end, isn't that the truth???

It thrills me to no end that Isaac runs down to check on the lettuce 'plants' every morning and is excited to see new ones pop up. And when Mara grabs her bar stool to help me knead bread. That's the stuff they'll remember, not whether they got some overpriced gadget for Christmas or the label on their coat.