Friday, December 12, 2008

Weekly Top Ten

Isn't obsession sort of a fun thing that gets a bad rap? I mean it's only a bad thing if it interferes with everyday life, right? So in light of obsession's fun side, how about a top ten favorite obsessions???

1. Shoes, especially high heels. Unfortunately this is not an obsession I can act on right now.
2. Seed catalogs.
3. Rosemary, love that stuff!
4. No Poo shampoo.
5. Getting my Christmas tree 'just right'.
6. Stocking up on food, just in case.
7. Felting wool for crafts
8. Learning to eat on the cheap.
9. Homemade presents
10. http://www.freedomgardeners.org/ - my favorite website ever!

Now, spill your dirty little secrets and tell me, what are your top ten obsessions???

5 comments:

Meg said...

Oooh, yay, this is a fun one!

1) Dogs. I love dogs. I love playing with dogs. High energy, super intelligent dogs are the best. Teaching my dog to do agility or obedience or simple tricks, doing lure coursing fun runs, helping with the bikejoring training, etc., is such a blast. I love kids, I love sharing fun new stuff with them and helping them learn, but I can't have them, and there are tons of dogs needing rescue, so i have dogs. And I get the sort of dogs who like to do stuff and learn stuff. My Ridgeback mix, Clara Bow, is a total sponge, I keep having to work had to come up with new stuff to teach her! It's a neat and fun challenge.

2) Old movies. I adore old movies and have been recording the obscure ones on DVD for about 6 years (and, yes, the DVD records were expensive then!), and buying the more common ones as they became available. I probably have over 1,000...most of which are from the 1920s and 1930s.

3) Gardening. Gardening, for me, is like this big, massive, long term science experiment. It's quite fun, and a total challenge. And I adore the delicious food!

4) The Internet. What a great place. I wouldn't know my best friend if it weren't for the Internet, both of my current dogs I found through local shelter's online listings, my new dog I met through the blog of a musher who works with rescue Huskies (and I never would've met and befriended this musher or the dog without the Internet!). I have several good friends I've met online. I have an e-mail list of fellow Ridgeback owners from whom I have learned a lot, the Freedom Gardeners where I pick up so much cool stuff and meet so many neat people, I have the Tiny Homes mailing list where I am learning so much and finding out about ideas, products, etc., for small house building and living (we will build a small home in Alaska when we move...our current place is about 780 sq feet). I pick up new Solar Cooking stuff from the solar cooking list, and found many new tomatoes from the Tomatomania list. I use the Web as a big old encyclopedia and learn so much there daily. And, without the Internet, it would be difficult to communicate with my West Coast family, but thanks to the Internet I can send e-mails, post photos on Flickr for them, etc.

5) Sewing. It is one of my favorite creative outlets. I make some of my own PJs & gardening clothes, make clothes for my Ridgeback mix, make toys for my dogs and others' dogs, make practical yet fun things like curtains and bags, I get to make fun things like vintage 1920s wear from 1920s patterns (bought off the Internet, of course!). I love funky fabric, neat colors and patterns and have a ton.

6) History, especially social history and pop culture history of the 1920s and 1930s. Names, dates, and facts are cool, but I prefer to dig underneath all that and read transcripts of oral histories, study the Marathon Dancing craze, study film culture, magazine culture, etc., from this age. I am fascinated with how humans interact with each other and how their decisions and actions are shaped by history (and how they take the initiative to set their own paths through history).

7) Small house architecture and small house living. I originally wanted to be an interior architect/interior design person focusing on minimum waste and maximum efficiency of space, concepts like not only dual or triple use spaces, but quadruple or quintuple use spaces. Converting furniture, or small space storage is fascinating. There is (currently) very little demand for this sort of work, so no jobs, hence I did not get formal training in this, but I have been informally training myself on this for years and am constantly learning. It's great fun. IKEA has a lot of good ideas, some of which I buy outright in the form of furniture or whatnot, some of which I take and adapt to my items.

8) Books. I am book junkie. I have three jam-packed bookcases full of just *kids books alone* in my bedroom. There are bookcases everywhere I can squeeze them in. Some people have art or photos on their walls, I have books and an occasional framed old movie still from my collection.

9) Tomatoes. I love tomatoes, but you already know that one! I will have the best darn tomato greenhouses in Alaska when I move!

10) Alaska. I love this place. It is beautiful. I love the people, some of the culture, the do-it-yourself ethic, the beautiful mountains, valleys, and wildlife and plant life. I am also a bit mushing obsessed (have a heart condition which would never allow me to do it myself, but am a great "armchair musher")
and love the dogs and their crazy intense love of mushing. I love winter (in fact, if summer wasn't so great for growing, I would really hate that season, because I am a cold weather junkie, hence my moving from CA to MI and, eventually, to AK!).

If I could have a #11 and #12 it would probably be photography, especially action photography of dogs and dog sports (mushing, agility, flyball, bikejoring, obedience, lure coursing, tracking, herding, etc....anything that works a dog's physical and mental sides, and their instincts is pretty cool.

Andrea said...

Glad you like this one, Meg! I currently have several other obsessions, but this IS a family friendly blog LOL.

And that pair of Manolo Blahnik Camo open toed pumps are only one of said obsessions : )

Meg said...

Well, of COURSE, I figured that much (said about both the family friendly *and* the camo shoes). :)

I'm working at 3 today, so now I have to go shower and get ready for work! I got your package yesterday evening, and it looks like Monday (my day off) will be my big "mailing everything out" day for Xmas packages and your packet, so you should have seeds by this time next week. :)

Andrea said...

Can't thank you enough!!! Have a great shift.

Meg said...

By the way...for someone who isn't a shoe fanatic, I have WAY too many shoes...I have an entire skinny IKEA wardrobe full of shoes, plus a pull out shoe rack in a full sized IKEA wardrobe. Very sad. I am obsessed with buying them on sale and clearance. Most of them cost like $5 or $10. I probably have at least 30 pairs, possibly more, plus half a dozen pairs of slippers. I walk A LOT so I wear out the soles of shoes too quickly if I just have a few pairs, thus I have many and rotate them constantly for a slower "wear-and-tear" rate!