
I'll be the first to admit that we're spoiled. Not in a bad way, but spoiled nonetheless. We have such a friend in Huck, who has blessed us time and time again, both with his friendship and his wonderful apples. He's allowed us several times to forage in his orchard, lets Isaac bag apples and feed the cows and blesses us with the apples from the end of the season. I know that may sound like strange things to be thankful for, but for us, they're true blessings.
Yesterday, Huck let us rummage through the old barn and pick out a bushel or two of apples leftover from the end of the season. With any luck, they should last us a month or two into winter and provide a wonderful source of fresh fruit for the kids. That is if I can keep Isaac out of them. He'd eat a dozen apples a day if I'd let him. Really.
When you've been spoiled with delicious, fresh, local and seasonal produce, buying it at Walmart just isn't an option. Saturday the kids were given a goodie bag from the UAW that contained candy, an apple and an orange. Isaac went straight for the apple and took an enormous bite. Then he got a funny look on his face and told me his apple tasted different. 'That' wasn't one of Huck's apples. Bless his heart, he's 4 and he's already a connoisseur of apples. I can't help but think that folks who buy produce from chain stores, off season and from China, have no idea what real produce tastes like. But maybe that's for the best. If they knew how delicious local apples taste, we'd have to fight them for the 'firsts' and for the good parking spots : )
No comments:
Post a Comment