After an evening of baking, scooping and bagging acorn squash, my new total for the season is 684.5 pints of food. We've started dipping into our stash, which feels sort of odd after all the time involved hoarding it, but I suppose that's what it's for, right?
I'm really beginning to feel the pinch from the economy, probably more psychologically than financially at this point. Lower gas prices are a plus, but seeing all the other prices on the rise really is starting to panic me. I can feel myself going into depression mode and it worries me that folks around me aren't beginning to tighten their belts too. I think Jeff is beginning to understand that I'm worried...he knows it's serious when we begin to eat a lot of beans and rice. And lately, there's been a LOT of beans and rice LOL. And don't forget the applesauce. We'll be eating a lot of applesauce.
Thankfully, mercifully, the work we've done on the house the last year or two has started to make a big difference. The new windows, insulation, siding, etc. has cut down on drafts and chills so much we haven't had to turn on our furnace this year. The house, at it's coolest, has only gotten down to 65, which is a bearable temperature for sleeping. Next up will be hanging some heavier curtains so the house will seem 'warmer' even if it's a tad cool. I'm hoping all these combined efforts make a difference in heating and electric this winter.
My next project, after finishing Mara's pirate costume, will be using up the felted wool for mittens, hats, scarves, booties and if possible, a couple of small patchwork throws. There's just nothing cozier than wool blankets, a bowl of popcorn and a good old black and white movie to warm you during the dark days of winter.
No comments:
Post a Comment