I've been a scrounging, tag sale shopping, clearance-tabling fool lately. And I'm proud of that fact. If you've followed my posts at all, you know that last week I very clearly stated that my Pampered Chef apple peeler was the best 2 dollars I ever spent, but now, there's a contender for that spot. Today, at 2 pm at Huck's Apple Orchard, I purchased half a bushel of acorn squash for 2 dollars. Egad! It was an end of the season deal I made with the owner and I have to say that I am thrilled to no end! I love baked acorn squash and could eat it with every meal....and with the sheer number of squash I purchased, it very well may happen. Yay! They're roasting now, so all I have to do is cool, scoop them out and freeze them for some delicious, practically free meals. What an incredible blessing!
I also managed to scrounge 2 grocery bags full of black walnuts; just need to dry those babies and we'll be ready for some holiday baking. Again, what a blessing!
We're in full fall mode here as we had our first frost last night...the veggies are safely tucked in their little tunnels, so hopefully we'll have a few more weeks of fresh greens and lettuce. The strawberries are snuggled in under the straw and the herbs got cut back hard yesterday and are drying as we speak. All in all, it's been a pretty successful first year homesteading. We've ended the season with a full pantry and freezer, and more trees and vines than we started with. We've also gained an immense amount of experience in saving seeds, successive planting and how to deal with Mother Nature.
I've been dropping hints to Jeff that we should consider a couple of turkeys for next year....something to plump up our freezer : ) It would be our first venture into meat production, which is sort of a scary new territory. We'll see if he got that hint.
No comments:
Post a Comment