Friday, January 20, 2012

Just When I Think Life Is Returning To Normal....

So I'll skip the intro and get straight to the topic at hand. 

Skin cancer. 

I was diagnosed with skin cancer earlier this week.  I'm blessed that it's not a killer; it's a nuisance and it will likely continue to be a nuisance til my last breath.  Next week, I meet with a surgeon to discuss the pathology reports and we'll go from there.

For Pete's sake, make sure you make and keep your yearly physical exams with your doctor.  Talk with him about any suspicious spots, lumps or bumps and follow through with treatment, even if he's "99% sure it's nothing", as my doctor did.  Know your skin.  Skin cancer doesn't always *look* scary.  It doesn't wait til you're 40 years old.   It doesn't always affect areas subject to frequent sunburns. 

I'm proof of all those things. 

12 comments:

Unknown said...

The C-word is always scary even if it's "just" skin cancer or "just" benign or any other "just". I've had non-cancerous growths removed (from skin that I assure you was generally covered up) and I've dealt with brain cancer, both well before 40, and just the word cancer sends shivers through me.

I'll be thinking about you.

Tulip said...

Your attitude sounds good and that's very good for healing processes. My prayers are with you.

farmgal said...

Hi Andrea

I am so sorry that they found Cancer, I hear what you are saying about having caught it and getting it treated but still its scary, and I have had you and your family in my prayers for months and will continue to do so.

Bitsy said...

{{HUGS}}

Cancer is scary, no matter what kind it is.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Chief Instructor said...

You gotta be kidding! Glad you found it early. Stay on top of it, young lady.

Kick some boo-tay!

Andrea said...

You guys are great...thanks for the support. It came as a real shock, but I'm sure things will be fine. We meet with the plastic surgeon on Wednesday and figure out the course of action.

HossBoss said...

Seems like stressed is what's 'normal' these days for a lot of us. Praying for you, Andrea ...just keep up your own positive outlook and prayers and God will do the rest.

Emily said...

Hi Andrea,
I'll be praying for you as you and the doctor take care of the skin cancer!

You've inspired me to have this bump on my knee checked out - it's just little, but my husband jokes that it's my twin. It just grew there last year and I figure it's probably a wart. Guess you never know!

Prayers and hugs!

Andrea said...

Hoss, you're completely right about frantic being the new normal. It definitely makes me appreciate downtime and the uneventful.

Emily, definitely get to a doctor! That's the reason I posted this...I don't want pity...I want people I know and love to keep on top of their health!

Rachel said...

Thinking of you.

Jennifer @ Fast, Cheap, and Good said...

Prayer for you, Andrea! Thank heavens skin cancer is usually quite manageable.

Andrea said...

Rachel, Jennifer,
Thank you both. Tomorrow is my appt with the plastic surgeon to go over the pathology results...and then we'll go from there.