I learned a new skill today and I'm all full of myself! In a fit of desperation, I learned how to make stretched butter...and I can tell you that I'll never pay $4 for a bowl of butter again.
I've been buying the Land O'Lakes spreadable butter for several years because A) it's yummy, B) it's spreadable and C) I can decipher the ingredients on the package unlike margarine. Today, we had a crisis when there was no butter for the morning toast and my failing memory flashed back a few months to a Canadian friend talking about stretched butter. So I looked it up and wow if that's not the easiest stuff to make. Ever. Here's what you do:
Bring 2 sticks of real butter to room temperature. (Don't microwave. You want it soft, not melted.) If you've got a KitchenAid, throw them in the bowl and whisk them on high til the butter is creamy. Reduce the speed and slowly add up to 1/4 cup EACH of water and oil, more or less depending on the desired consistency. Beat til very pale yellow/white and very creamy. Refrigerate in a covered container.
That's it. So easy I'm ashamed to admit that I've been buying bowl butter my entire life. And so easy, I feel like I've been scammed by butter copanies trying to make a buck LOL. Oh well. Live and learn and reclaim the kitchen, right?
5 comments:
Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year to you and Family!
China
III
Well now, that's very interesting. I've been buying real butter for baking and had stopped buying the bowl butter. Recently I thought, "I don't want to spend the money even if I do buy on sale". So I started buying bowl butter for toast & such so not to use up real butter so quick.
Hmmm, now I know what to do when I run out of bowl butter.
Thank you and Happy New Year to you & your family!
Good to know, Andrea. I haven't bought anything but real butter sticks for several years now, but sometimes it IS nice to have spreadable. You GO, girl!
: )
THANKS for the info on spreadable butter, I too have been a sucker for to many years!! I will be making my own from now on. Love your blog, glad I found it!!
Disregard the comment I left for you on the Just Another Day on the Farm blog. This is an awesome tip! Thank you!
Post a Comment