Monday, November 7, 2011

Unexpected Food

I LOVE it when food shows up in the most unexpected places.

Several years ago, when Isaac and Mara first started their clothesline gardens, both kids wanted to plant sunflowers.  So, we stopped in at Walmart, bought a couple pouches of mixed sunflower seeds and let the kids cast seeds to their little hearts' content.  And they grew into beautiful flowers.  And strangely enough, one particular variety grew back year after year.  A very tall variety with hairy stems and tiny flowers. 

Well, a few months ago, the kids cut a bouquet to take to Farmer D's wife, Mo, at the annual family reunion and Mo just went nuts over these flowers.  Now, understand, Mo is the flower lady in the family...if it's a flower, Mo knows what it is.  But these stumped her and all I could tell her is they came from the Walmart sunflower seed packets, they had some funky looking tuber-like roots and they were 8 feet tall. 

Thanks to Mo's tenacity, we know what these flowers are...and what they aren't is sunflowers. 


We're growing Jerusalem artichokes.  Also known as sunchokes, sunroots and earth apples.  Call 'em what you want, the sweet tater-looking roots are edible.  They can be broiled, steamed, eaten raw, grilled, baked.   Apparently they can be dried, ground and used as a flour of sorts.  And in Germany, the roots are used for a liquor called Topinambur.  Okay.  Now I'm intrigued :)

Tomorrow, I dig me Jerusalem artichokes...

6 comments:

farmgal said...

They are very good, I have a few of them, I have don't find they like the spots I have placed them in and I keep moving them around trying to find a spot they like so I have only gotten to try a few, but I would certainly like a much bigger patch going.

I really liked the taste in the few dishes I have tried them in, I wish I had enough to try the dry them and grind but not so far, can't wait to see what you come up with!

Tulip said...

I've heard many complain these past couple years of getting something other than what they thought they bought. Even seedlings, were mixed up and you dont know till it grows up.

That is interesting about that plant, Jerusalem artichoke.

Bitsy said...

I have heard that J artichokes make a great OPSEC food, because they look like flowers, not food. Been meaning to try them myself. Looking forward to hearing how they taste!

Andrea said...

farmgal-I tried one last night and it was okay...just sort of 'meh'. But I hear they can be prepared just about anyway you want to use them. Can't wait to see what I can do with them.

Sassy-This has turned out to be a beautiful mix-up!

Bitsy-I can totally see these being a good opsec food. I mean, I've been growing these for 3 years and had no idea what they were til my cousin Mo saw them on the Dr. Oz show LOL Tastewise, they're fairly bland. Sort of like a very, very mild radish or turnip. Very crunchy and crisp.

Jennifer @ Fast, Cheap, and Good said...

We want to see some recipes when you are comfortable with your creations! I like the idea of these as an OPSEC food.

I did the same sort of thing with our cherry tree, which sadly died of lightening strike many years ago. The first year we had it on the property, we thought it was ornamental until my FIL walked up to it and started eating the cherries. That's how we learned it was a pie cherry tree!

Andrea said...

Hi Jennifer. Give me some time to experiment...I read that JAs are sweeter and more delish in the springtime, so it may not be til next year that I can really perfecte some recipes.

I hear ya on the OPSEC foods. We grow a number of ornamental edibles like Serviceberry trees, for example. They look pretty and no one eats the berries...except me! I've also figured out a few of the wild edibles growing in our yard...like wild garlic/onion and pineapple weed. The kids love gathering them...and I love eating them.