Monday, October 17, 2011

The Difference

So I signed up for Facebook recently.

I know.

Gasp.

Me, privacy-loving, anti-media, anti-faddish, who doesn't really want to read what anyone else is eating for breakfast, lunch or dinner, I joined friggin' Facebook.  I didn't want to sign up, but I was desperate, a woman on the edge.  I mean, how am I supposed to follow my favorite local mini-dairy if I don't sign up?    What's a person who wants local, organic, low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized dairy products supposed to do? 

Sign up.

Anyway, one good thing that's come from signing up for Facebook is the amount of introspection it encourages.  Yes, FB encourages introspection.  Who'da thunk it?  They ask all the questions that one wouldn't ask in polite company.  What's your faith?  What's your political persuasion?  What's your outlook?  Who shaped and inspired you?  And what I've discovered is how much I've changed in the past 4 years.  Many of the friends from long ago who have friended me recently probably wouldn't recognize me now.  I look the same, more or less.  My great-grandma always said my looks never changed, just matured.  I like that.  What's done a total reversal is my outlook on faith, politics, worldview, people, life.  You know.  Pretty much everything.

Here's what I used to believe: That Democrats were good, Republicans were bad and that you could pretty much trust the US Gov.  Wow.  I know.  I was so young.  Now I know that Dems and Reps are both off their rockers and you can't trust either.  And the USGov...well, just make sure you lock your doors and keep your firearms out of sight.

I used to believe that people are basically good, smart, hard-working and want to accomplish something with their lives.  That no one wants to be poor, sick or drug-addicted.  Wow again.

I used to believe that vast, right-wing/left-wing, opinion-swaying conspiracy theories were something out of colorful imaginations and mystery novels.  Now I believe it.  See Fast and Furious for more details.

I used to support the world-policing that the US practices.  Now I think we need to get our butts home and stay here until someone, oh I don't know, ASKS FOR OUR HELP.

I used to support gun control.  Yeah, can you believe it?  I just didn't see the need for every Tom, Dick or Harry to be sporting an assault rifle.  Then I realized that freedom to bear arms is the ultimate checkmate.  Why do you think the British were so keen to disarm us?  Oh, I know, that was a long time ago and times change.  Times change, but the heart of man doesn't. 

I also used to believe that I was free to make my own choices, frame my future, raise my children the way I WANT to raise my children.  No, no and no.  There are czars for that.

And global warming, political correctness and the green movement...yikes, yikes, yikes. 

Yeah.  Everything has changed.  But, to quote my BFF Suz: "It's okay.  I'm not bitter." 

Believe it or not, I actually have a great deal of hope for the future.  I think much of America has woken up in the past couple of years to the garbage and nonsense going on behind the stage.  Toto has pulled back the curtain, so to speak.

I'm at ease with the choices I've made in life.  At some point, a few years ago, I woke up to the realization that you can never actually catch the rat in the old rat race.  That no matter how fast you run, all you see is the rat's butt.  That there's no point in trying to be/keep up with the Joneses. That enough is enough.  That sometimes quiet, still and small is really superior to all else.     

I find great peace in the Saviour and knowing all this nonsense is no surprise to Him.  He's the one individual who really has my back, all the time and in all cases, and I owe my rescue and my hope to Him.

I'm not sure what brought on all these changes.  Maturity?  Motherhood?  Salvation?  All of the above?  All I can tell you is that it's amazing the difference 4 years can make.

12 comments:

Jan said...

I friended you on FB! I was really surprised to see you there!! LOL Anyways glad to see you there.

Andrea said...

LOL...I'm going to check out your page now....you know, I've been friends with your for, what, 3 years? Maybe longer? And I have no idea what you look like.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Facebook. All the questions about my profile I leave blank. I know I've disappointed some high school friends/acquaintances when they friend request because there is no info about me. I'm sure people probably think I've lost it when they see the dress up dolls game my daughter plays with her 10 yr. old friend and they discuss how pretty the outfits are and they they want one. (Yes it shows up under my name, lol) And yes, the maturity thing! It's amazing to see how many unfriend you when you post something truthful about today's world, religious or otherwise.

Been thinking about doing a facebook cleanup. I'd be happy having it with the 20 or so people I talk to regularly. I don't view it as some popularity contest like some do. Anyways, it's been 2 years since I've woke up, and can say, maturity is great.

Anonymous said...

Ain't freedom grand!

John 8:31,32.

Nice post Andy.

Gary

Farmgal said...

I am not on facebook so won't be seeing you there but I did enjoy your post, sounds like you have really come into your own over the past four years, in so many ways including your faith.

Andrea said...

Shelly-I thought the dolls were cute :) I'm with you...I don't understand the popularity-contest aspect of FB. My thinking is: if I met you on the street and wouldn't like you, why would I 'Friend' you on FB?

Gary-I feel like I'm only just now starting to 'get it'. But so far, I'm totally, totally enjoying this freedom!

Farmgal-I think you nailed it...coming into my own. I think my family always had certain mindsets about faith, politics, economy and I just accepted them. And for a while, it was an okay fit...but now, not so much.

Jennifer @ Fast, Cheap, and Good said...

Remember how Ronald Reagan famously said he "didn't leave the Democratic party, the party left him?" I feel that way pretty much about both parties and the government lately. None of the boxes I used to check about my beliefs really work any more.

Regarding Facebook, I must say that I love it. It is a different kind of communication, but it is a kind that allows for relationships I might otherwise not have had or not have had in the same way.

Andrea said...

To be honest, I don't really remember much about Ronald Reagan. Something about jelly beans, but that's about it. Of course I was in Kindergarten when he was elected. But that quote is right...I don't think I really fit in anywhere, and at this point, it's a matter of voting for the lesser of 2 evils.

HossBoss said...

I'm not a big fan of FB but I'm on FB because it's how I am able to keep up with the doings of my grandsons in AZ ...sometimes the only means I have.

Wow, you were only five when Reagan first elected? I think I was five when Barry Goldwater ran against LBJ! Now I feel old. LOL

Isn't it funny how many young liberals ultimately become conservatives when they mature ...but I don't think I know of a single instance where it went the other way. Ha!

northeast ohioan said...

In the spirit of facebook I must say that if today's entry had a "like" button I'd be clicking it! Great post, and I can agree with your transition - basically went through the same thing myself at about the same age (I think I'm about a decade older than you).

And a facebook heads up - you'll no doubt find there's a fine line between the novelty of it and sick to death of it. Enjoy it while it lasts! ;)

Andrea said...

Hoss-yeah, I was about 5. I remember Ronald Reagan didn't like jelly beans and I remember being upset that Iran had taken ostriches (hostages) and that's about all from that era. My friend Harry says liberals become conservatives when they realize the value of life.

NEOH-Hey good to hear from you! To be honest, I don't get Facebook's appeal. It's not really a creative outlet as you only have room for a sentence or two. It IS cool to reconnect though.

Tulip said...

Enjoyed reading your post and welcome you to the better side... the side w Jesus ;) and guns. hehe

My Farmer Man & I feel the same way about the Dems & Reps and hate that we vote for the lesser of two evils. I know there's got to be a decent, honest, real person out there for us to vote for.

Use to be on FB, loved it then hated it, left it and found all kinds of time to do the things :o