Sunday, June 19, 2011

Gardening Goals

After a refreshing couple of days of introspection, life is feeling much brighter in my corner of the Knobs.  I feel more myself.   The kids finished up VBS Friday, so our pace of life will be much slower over the coming weeks.  Thank God for that!  Fun stuff from our mini-micro-farm: the first raspberries of the season!  We spied the first ripe yellow raspberry on Wednesday and the first black raspberry on Friday.  There is simply nothing more luscious than sweet raspberries, still warm from the sun.  Oh yes.

So, Amy over at Homestead Revival did a great post a few days ago about setting gardening goals...and that's something I've been working on over the past year too.  At first, when we started die-hard gardening, I wanted to plant everything!  A hundred tomatoes, purple beans, red carrots, a dozen different types of peppers, corn, lots of different lettuces.  And that was fun, but it sort of waylaid me from my goal of being able to grow and put up enough produce to last us through the following year.  There's only so many hours in the day and so many square feet to work with on our little homestead.  So this year we implemented our 'intentional gardening' plan. 

During the past winter, I decided to really dig down and get back to the basics.  Or as Captain Jack Sparrow would say:   "The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can’t do." 

-I can't grow enough fruit to keep us supplied all year.
-I can grow enough berries to make jams, preserves and jellies to last the winter.
-I can grow enough onions for an entire year.  Ditto garlic and maybe potatoes too.
-I can preserve enough tomatoes in the form of juice, salsa, dried tomatoes and stewed tomatoes  to eliminate the need for store-bought tomatoes.
-I can fit a few squash plants into the garden and have enough squash to last til spring.
-I can't grow good sweet corn, being surrounded by hundreds of acres of field corn.
-I can build a growing tunnel and supplement our root crops with fresh greens during the winter.

Savvy?  If you go into your gardening season with a clear idea of what you hope to achieve, oh it makes things so much easier.   

So this year, there are no purple beans.  Limited amounts of space for lettuce.  Eliminated the sweet corn.  Instead we're really concentrating on beans, onions, potatoes, carrots, squash, tomatoes, garlic and peppers.  All of which are staples of our everyday diet.  All of which can be preserved by some means, whether it be root cellaring, dehydration or canning.  All of which are becoming increasingly expensive at the grocery store.  If we have a decent harvest of these crops, it will fill in the bulk of our diet for the coming year and need only be supplemented with some fresh veggies for variety.   And that was the point of die-hard gardening to begin with, right?  Grow what we eat and then eat what we grow.

What kind of gardening goals/plans are you following this year?   

7 comments:

farmgal said...

Hi Andrea

I loved this post, and I am so glad to hear that you are feeling a bit more yourself.

I read the same post on Homestead about the gardening goals, and we are working on it here as well.

This year, I planted alot more potatoes (hopefully for an extra 300 to 400 pds more then normal), plus alot more beans for both canning/freezing but also for drying and harvest.

I planted some of the area that I normally "try" a few thing in into alot more winter sqaush this year.

This year I am going to dig out alot more of my families old recipes on how to stretch the flavors of fruits but filling the bulk with easy to grow and cost effective ways.

Farmgal

Andrea said...

Hi Farmgal-
Thanks for checking in. I do feel much more myself. We're in the midst of having a huge prayer answered and I think something was trying to steal my joy, you know?

I may turn to you for potato advice in the coming months. We've grown potatoes before with only so-so luck but this year, I'm determined to make it work.

Tell me..... how you store your taters for winter???

suek said...

I don't know about storing the 'taters, but I was surprised to have a butternut squash last nearly a full year under my sink...

We always have squash for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they're ususally cheaper then. Someone had a really good sale price and bought more than I could use, so it languished beneath my sink. (I know...I really should have just cooked it and frozen it rather than risk having it rot) It was almost a year later before I got around to cooking it up, and although it was a bit drier than it should be, it was actually in pretty good shape. Usable, in any case.

Storage is a problem for us. We live in a warm climate, with no root cellar options available.

farmgal said...

Hi Andrea

So glad your prayer is being answered, and things are looking up.

Ask away on the potato's

Well, we do have a very large homemade potato bin in the cellar(which is in the almost a hundred year old house part) and they will keep down there for a couple of months after harvest, having said that, I also can them, make homemade fries and freeze them, make homemade hashbrowns both dry and freeze them, Cook them, make mashed and then freeze them.

I have tried to bring them though the winter enough to have my own seed potato's and have been able to do so in the past couple years but I have better luck, if I dig, and then plant small babies into the area I want them to grow next year and leave them over the winter and they come up the next year.

If I had "the push come to shove" part of life come, I would plant again late fall and let then winter sow, as I have a higher success rate that way then keeping different types over the winter and having them ready for spring.

Farm Gal

Unknown said...

We really look hard at any available space that's not utilized. This year we planted soup beans all along the fence of our main garden. This small strip was totally useless, now it's got tons of beans that will use the fence to climb.

Vertical growing is another area to consider. You can plant tons vertically, in very small areas.

Andrea said...

We did the same thing this year, Stone Path. We planted sweet/white potatoes along the fence row this year, filling in any gaps with patches of onions. There are random patches of onions popping up all over the garden!

This year, we're experimenting with growing cucumbers vertically....so far they're doing well, but we'll know more in another month.

Carolyn said...

Her post got me thinking too. We added a few things this year at the family garden and my backyard garden.
One goal of mine is to do a garden journal and keeping up with it!