Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Self-Sabotage

I'm still plugging away at the Lose The Fluff challenge.  The weight loss has slowed down, but it's still coming off.  I'm seeing numbers I haven't seen since 2003---pre Isaac! 

Then I sabotage myself.

I mean really. 

Who can refuse a lovely dish of bread pudding?  Certainly not I.

I had a bag of dinner rolls leftover from Mother's Day dinner and thought I'd treat the Mr. to a pan of his favorite dessert.

8cups torn dinner rolls
3c. milk
5 eggs
3/4c sugar
2t vanilla
1/2t cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350.  Place the torn rolls in a buttered 9X13 baking dish.  Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over torn rolls.  Bake 20 minutes.

Combine 1/2-3/4c brown sugar, 1/2 stick of butter and a 1/4c milk in a saucepan and heat til bubbly.  Carefully drizzle over the top of the bread pudding and bake til the bread is set in the middle, maybe 10-15 minutes longer. 

Why in the world did I make this dessert knowing full well that I can't turn down a bowl of warm bread pudding with a yummy brown sugar syrup?

It's self-sabotage, I tell you. 

Please excuse me while I console myself with a warm bowl of bread pudding.  I mean oatmeal.

3 comments:

Aleisha said...

Ha!! You just made me giggle. I giggle because I know...

suek said...

I make bread pudding with stale bread. I save the crusts and use them for bread pudding. Because it's stale, you have to let it stand an hour or two between pouring the milk/eggs over it and baking.

And I add chocolate chips instead of the cinnamon. Not that cinnamon isn't terrific - though when I do rice pudding (which is pretty much the same thing - just left over rice instead of bread) I also add raisins. Cinnamon and raisins just seem to _need_ each other...

And you should expect your weight loss to slow down. If your basic metabolic requirement _was_ 1800 calories per day, and you cut back to 1200 intake, you had a deficit of 600 calories...which would add up nicely in the loss department. Now that you've lost more than 10 lbs, your basic metabolic requirement is less...say 1500 calories intake per day. If you don't also cut back your intake, but maintain the 1200 calories per day, you only have a 300 calorie deficit. (I'm not suggesting that you cut back more - just trying to explain that it's entirely reasonable that as you get closer to your desired weight, the loss is going to be slower. The closer you get to your goal, the slower your loss - and probably, you'll get to a point where you just don't lose. _Then_ if you want to further reduce your weight, you'll have to reconsider reducing your calorie intake)

Unknown said...

LOL I just tell people I've learned to love my fluff. The truth is, I just love food ...