Friday, February 11, 2011

Lose The Fluff Update

Woohoo!  I'm back on track!

After 2 trying weeks, full of birthday parties, luscious treats from Aunt Suz, and on and on, I'm finally back into the swing of things and losing the fluff. It's amazing how easily and quickly one can get off track and slip back into those old eating habits...the ones that made you fluffy to start with!

Snacking is a huge problem for me. I'm finding that I snack constantly while I'm cooking. A bite of this. A nibble of that. Gotta taste-test everything, after all. To combat that habit, I'm keeping a bowl of chopped broccoli, celery, carrots and cauliflower on the counter during dinnertime. Another useful little trick is a piece of bubblegum. I'm not going to sample the fried chicken if I'm chomping on Trident.

It's kind of weird, but the cravings I've been experiencing aren't typical.  Not that my cravings have ever been what you'd call "typical".  I don't crave stuff like cookies, chips, cake. I crave food. Real food. Steak. Baked mac and cheese. Eggs. Baked potatoes. 5-Way Chili. For the most part, it's meat and hearty sides. You can keep the Death-By-Chocolate cake...just pass me the plate of chicken wings and a bottle of Buffalo sauce and I am one happy, happy woman.

Anyway, now that my mouth is watering and I'm craving hotwings, I'm pleased to say that I've lost 1.8 pounds this week. If you care to take note, that's a loss of the 1.2 pounds I gained last week, plus an additional .6. 

How are you handling those dieting cravings???

9 comments:

farmgal said...

congrats on your loss this week and on sharing some good ideas with us.

I like tea, often if I drink a pot of tea while I cook, I don't eat much, still have to taste things a little otherwise, don't know if it turns out or not.

The other thing that I do, is that I will eat a small amount of nuts (six halfs of walnuts etc) about 20 min before I start making supper, it will take the edge off, and I don't snack as much before the meal.

Andrea said...

Great advice farmgal!

Normally I keep some ginger ale closeby...the spicy-sweetness normally helps with the cravings. I used to drink a lot of tea...not sure how I got out of the habit...but it may be time reincorporate it into my diet.

HossBoss said...

I have good news and bad news, and even worse bad news.

The good news is I'm down 4 pounds since Tuesday.

The bad news is the weight loss this week is because I have the flu and haven't eaten much of anything for three days.

The even worse bad news is that the 4 pounds I lost were the very same 4 pounds I gained in the last week or so of January due to ...well, eating whatever wasn't nailed down.

At least I'm back where I started from and seem to be on the mend from the flu.

Aleisha said...

OH my word! My sister and I were just talking about the buffalo wings, yesterday. I simply cannot seem to eat enough buffalo wings to satisfy my cravings. It's like chicken wings covered in crack sauce. I'm with you girl! Good job on the getting back on track thing! That's all we can ask of ourselves:)

Andrea said...

Woman...Sounds like time to push the Re-Do button and start fresh. I'm sorry to hear you were down with the flu but glad you're on the mend. Whenever I'm sick, I send the Mr. out for Chinese chicken and broccoli and I'm normally well in just a matter of days.

Ali-
SNORT! Wings with crack sauce! That's exactly what it's like!!!! I was so desperate for Buffalo-anything a few days ago, I was dipping broccoli and cauliflower in wing sauce. It wasn't no chicken wings, but it took care of the cravings! And to think I never ate a hotwing til I was pregnant with my son!

Bitsy said...

Yeah, I hear you on the cravings. I can easily pass on the chocolate cake, too, but I'm a sucker for pasta, rice and bread. I LOVE the white stuff.

I haven't yet figured out how to combat the cravings, but I'm trying...

Andrea said...

I'm a bread and pasta girl too, Bitsy. I hate whole wheat pasta, but the multigrain pasta is actually very good, almost indistinguishable from plain old white pasta.

And we still have white bread...homemade, in small portions.

Thanks for dropping by!

Carla said...

Great job this week! My cravings are always for something salty. Somehow I've managed to mostly bypss them. Avoiding the kitchen works, or drinking a glass of water.

I had a 0.8 loss this week. Not all that great considering that 0.2 of it was last weeks gain.

Andrea said...

Hi Carla-
THanks for the encouragement. I may need some more in the coming week. I'm in this weird cycle of indulging on the weekends and I've got to break that.

.8 is nothing to shirk at! You figure that's a deficit of 2800 calories you cut from your diet this week!