It's been ages since I've done a post on homemade beauty products. I'm not sure why. I still love using them, but maybe they feel sort of mundane and everyday since I use them everyday?
I'm still loving No-poo...although I cheated and went back to shampoo for a while last summer. I don't recall why, but the results: itchy scalp and dry hair. I've said it before and I'll say it again, no-poo is the poo for me. Yesterday I tried a homemade hot oil treatment (Thanks to Mona at Healthy Homesteading for the link!) and I'm very happy with the results. Here's what you do.
Bring 1/2 cup of oil (olive or coconut) and 1/2 cup of water to a simmer. Allow it to cool just a bit then pour it into a pint Mason jar and shake it well! You want a lovely oil-water emulsion with no separation. You can add essential oils if you'd like, for the lovely scent or the healing properties, whatever floats your boat.
Wet down your hair and carefully, very carefully pour the oil-water mixture over your hair, paying particular attention to dry ends and any other problem areas. Cover your hair with a cap and then wrap up with a fluffy towel to capture the heat from your head. Set the timer for 30 minutes, grab a cup of hot tea and watch an old movie while you wait for the oil to work. After the 30 minutes (or more!) is up, remove the towel and cap and massage some warm/hot water into your hair. Shampoo with the no-poo of your choice and follow up with a vinegar rinse (to both detangle and remove any traces of oil.)
I love the results of the hot oil treatment and especially love the cheap, cheap price tag. My hair is very soft and shiny today, with fewer flyaways. It DID take 2 good shampooings to get the excess oil out of my hair, but that may have been because of my choice of oils (coconut) or simply the quantity that I used. Either way, it was worth the work to have soft, healthier hair today.
What are your favorite homemade beauty products?
4 comments:
Sometimes I mash a little ripe avocado and rub it in my hair, leave sit for a while, and then shampoo out. It seems to make my hair shinier and healthier, but it could be my imagination.
Sounds kinda crazy, but if you drink coffee in the a.m. Grab a handful of the grinds after you brew your coffee and use them as a facial scrub. Soft clean skin. Nice exfoliant.
I used to make my stuff but now jsut buy natural products, though I am pretty slack in that department anyway.
One thing I always love is how clean you feel with natural products.
We visited friends the other day and had lunch, and with a little leftover avocado she rubbed it over her face. Just while standing in the kitchen :D How natural is that? :)
Well there's 2 votes for avocado, eh? I love the stuff but noone else in my family will eat it so I ALWAYS have extra avocado laying around. I've used it for a facial but never for a conditioner before. Sounds interesting.
TT-
I've heard of that before! A friend of mine (Ali at Whole Family Project) did a post on that a few weeks back and loved the results.
Post a Comment