![]() |
| http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/2011/01/eat-more-beans-recipe-exchange.html |
Here's one for the record book: I'm craving lentils.
I've experienced all sorts of strange cravings in my life; from Buffalo wings and taters and green olive brine (pregnancy #1) to spinach and Granny Smith apples and Tabasco Cheez-Its (pregnancy #2), but never in my life have I ever had such a craving for lentils.
I typically refrain from eating lentils. I like the idea of lentils; they're nutritious, inexpensive and store very well but the actual consumption of lentils was my stumbling block. Even with a big ole ham bone or smokey, salty bacon added, lentils always tasted sort of 'blech' to me. Not bad exactly, just not good, if that makes sense. They taste sort of muddy, if you follow me. They're a muddy greenish-brown color. And have a muddy texture. And they even look sort of like mud. Not that I have anything against mud, I just don't want it on my dinner plate.
So I started experimenting.
(Cue dramatic music and lighting stage right.)
On a quiet afternoon while Mara was visiting at "Mamaw-haus", I took to the kitchen with an armload of produce and a Mason jar full of lentils. Not the green ones, but the beautiful salmon colored ones; and I think THAT made all the difference.
While the lentils were simmering in a small amount of water, I sauteed a carrot and onion with a bit of garlic, just until the carrots were tender and the onion slightly browned. I added the carrot mixture to the lentils, with the addition of a bay leaf, a bit of freshly-grated ginger and a chicken bouillion cube and continued to simmer, adding water as necessary and cooking just long enough that the lentils were tender without turning into something resembling wallpaper paste. The color was still bright. The lentils retained their shape and texture, not at all mud-like. I spooned the concoction over some brown rice and..........
It was good.
Really good.
The flavor was fresh and clean, for lack of a better description. There was a delicious saltiness from the bouillion and a pungency from the fresh ginger that sort of cut through the blandness typical of lentils. It was very filling and the best part: it was only a few (Weight Watchers) points for a big bowl full! Very nutritious and very diet-friendly! I bet you can guess what I'm having for lunch today.
Do you include lentils in your food storage?
Care to share your favorite recipe?

5 comments:
My wife won't eat lentils. It seems that her mother liked to cook them down to a gray flavorless mess.
If the lentils turn to mud, they're being cooked too long.
The keys are not over cooking and the flavorings. May I suggest that you saute diced onion, carrot, and green pepper, cayenne, and black pepper (Cajun style) and then add the stock and cook the lentils in that. Add salt, if needed, at the end.
Lentils are quick,easy to fix and nutritious. They are a staple of my food storage even if I am the only one who eats them.
I absolutely agree...lentils overcook very quickly! I love the carrots added to the mixture...it sort of gives it some substance and if they're just barely cooked, something to crunch on!
Andrea, be sure to link up this article to the Bean Recipe Exchange on my blog - I personally consider lentils a dried bean (even if they're not). I think a lot of people can relate to your experience.
Whoa...! You have a bean recipe exchange on your blog???
I'll be over to visit! I think beans are terrific - but don't really cook much of anything with them except baked beans, and we have a bean soup/stew that has become popular. I've looked for different recipes and different ways to use them, but haven't found much.
I think the problem is that most recipes I've seen tend to use a whole bag - usually one pound - which makes up a _bunch_ of beans for 2-3 people. It's hard to get them eaten up before they all go bad because we're sick of eating the same thing. But - they're cheap, nutritious, keep in the dried state with no canning or freezing for long periods of time - I mean...what more could you ask for!!
If I could just learn how to make better use of them...!
I'll be right over! (you should have included a link - now I have to do the blogger look up thing!)
Amy...
I posted a bean recipe in your comment section (I don't have a blog)two days ago...it still hasn't shown up. Do you have to approve, or is there some other hurdle?
No big deal...just asking...
Post a Comment