Things are getting back to normal here in our household following one.busy.week. We entertained my husband's family on Thanksgiving then afterwards went to my family's house for dessert and good times. Everything went incredibly smoothly, with the exception of one flambeed dish of sweet potatoes LOL. Hope you all had a pleasant holiday surrounded by people you love. And don't forget, Thanksgiving isn't about FEELING thankful, it's about GIVING thanks. Big difference there.
Now that Thanksgiving is over, we've started decorating the house for the Christmas season. I love decorating. We don't spend a lot of money or book our calenders solid for Christmas, but we really enjoy making the house festive for Christmas and New Years. We use a lot of greenery, both fresh and artificial, lots of white lights, lots of gold ribbon, lots of glittery sparkly bulbs, ting ting and ornaments. It comes together so beautifully. If I had a term to describe my decorating style it would be:
*retro-natural-wonderland-homemade ugly-chic*
Yeah, it's a mouth full, but it totally fits my hodge-podge, whatever-catches-my-eye approach to decorating for the holidays. There are decorations from the 50's right next to Boyd's Bears, and crystal icicles next to shatterproof bulbs from Walmart. Somehow, it works. At least I think it does. So far no one has signed me up for an ambush-holiday-redecorating show on HGTV, so I must be doing okay.
Want a virtual tour?
Here's the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in the basement family room. I love how this picture turned out, all warm and glowing :)
This the big tree in the living room, covered from top to bottom and side to side with every glittery bauble I could lay hands on. There were a few empty spots when I took this picture, but Isaac filled them in when he came home from school this afternoon. Please don't tell the angel I cut her head off.
Isaac's tree, covered with Hot Wheels. We used yards upon yards of fishing line to hang the cars and he was thrilled with the results!
Mara's Christmas tree, topped with a Boyd's Bear and decorated with *every*single*piece* of play jewelry she owns. Bangles, baubles, hair clips, rings, necklaces, bracelets and headbands abound! The picture doesn't do it justice, as it IS quite lovely, lit up in the evening.
And finally, our take on the traditional Advent wreath. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, especially the wreath wired together out of bits of greenery.
So there's a quick tour of our house, decorated for the season.
Who's next?





5 comments:
BEAUTIFUL! And you SHOULD do exactly what YOU like. It's your home and your memories. Enjoy decorating!
I told ya.... the sweet potatoes are evil... ;-)
Thanks Amy-I love how our house looks during the holidays. A few hundred lights go a long way in transforming an ugly 1970's ranch into a cozy little cottage.
Chief-LOL! I didn't tell you the rest of the sweet tater story. I scraped off the charred part and served it anyway and there wasn't a single crumb left. Not.a.bite!
Wow! Very nice!
I don't "do" decorating. Just no talent for it. We also are RC, so follow the practice of Advent representing the period before the coming of Christ, and since we "theoretically" don't know when He's coming, no decorations until Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve, we do the tree, and it stays up until the Epiphany - Jan 6. It drives me nuts that the TV shows don't know that _those_ are the 12 days of Christmas - not the last 12 shopping days before Christmas!
We've reached the "shrunken" tree stage, and the last couple of years, I've had a live tree. The big problem with live trees is finding trees with straight trunks.
But ornaments...ours are all old. Including wax ornaments I bought in Germany, some 40 years ago. And I still have some of my parents - which we don't really use any more -they're too big for the little tree we have now.
And...my DILs are very gifted and trendy in the decor department and have no interest in my old ornaments. Ah well. Times change.
Suek-
I love the old glass ornaments too. I have a bunch that belonged to my grandmother and I can't wait until my kids are old enough that I can put them on the tree.
Post a Comment