Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Saucy Lady

Midway into August, my tomatoes are finally beginning to ripen in large enough quantities that we can start preserving. I planted a couple lovely varieties of sauce/paste tomatoes and this morning I picked a big dishpan full of them, so today we're saucin'. Last year I made sauce on the stove top, and it was okay. Definitely tomato-y, but not a lot of flavor otherwise. This year, I'm trying a different approach.

Here's the plan:

I sliced the tomatoes in half along with some onions, peppers and a smidgen of garlic, tossed it all with a bit of olive oil and salt and popped them in the oven at 250 degrees, increasing the heat to 350 when the mixture gets juicy. I'm going to let those babies slow-roast until they're tender, thickened and slightly browned, then put them through the food mill and process. *In theory*, they should have a much deeper, richer flavor than the sauce I prepared on the stove top last year.

In theory anyway.

We'll see how things pan out.

1 comment:

Tancy said...

That sounds yummy! Let us know how it turns out! I canned tomato juice this year with peppers, onions, and celery.