I've had cause for great introspection lately. I think when God redeems you, it frees you to unpack some of the baggage that you may have been carrying around for a while and really examine it. We all have baggage. Even King David had baggage. The sermon on forgiveness at church 2 weeks ago was about David's dying words and his desire for his son to revenge a curse placed upon him by some little feller named Shimei. Shimei was sort of a nobody but he got under David's skin and his few choice words burned at David for the rest of his life. Even on his deathbed, David burned with the sting of those words and couldn't rest til he knew they were avenged.
We all have baggage, but most of us choose not to unpack it. We choose to imprison ourselves and hold onto our anger, resentment, frustration. We choose not to forgive even though we would ask for forgiveness.
So where is this going? A dear friend Linda wrote a beautiful post a few weeks ago about transparency in blogging; about how it frustrated her that people posted inane, foolish stuff while censoring what was really important. She talked about how aggravating it is to see folks act like they have it all together and everything is great just so they won't have to face judgement or backlash. Combined with the life-changing sermons and experiences of the past month, I decided to share a part of me with you.
I called this post 'Who's Your Shimei' because I have a Shimei. There's someone who has so hurt me that I still carry resentment from it, but that ends today. I'm going to tell the whole story today and then I refuse to replay it in my head again.
My dad is my Shimei.
He and my mom separated when I was 3 and my brother was just a few months old. There were a few years of visitation following the divorce, but around my 6th birthday, my dad just disappeared. He chose to pack his bags, leave town and never call us again. He chose not to send cards. He chose not to send child support. He chose to completely turn his back on us, not knowing whether we lived or died. And so did his whole family.
I met my dad again when I was about 21 and for a few years we struggled to form some sort of relationship. I tried for 10 years. It was 10 years of sporadic phone calls. 10 years of guilt because I didn't visit him enough (4 hour drive each way). 10 years of excuses, denials, outright lies. The straw that broke the camel's back was the birth of my daughter. He got mad at me because I wanted him to wait to make the trip to see Mara until we were home from the hospital. (Ask any woman who's had a C-section how she felt about visitors in the hospital and she'll probably tell you the same thing...wait!) He didn't see Mara til she was a year old and he hasn't seen her since. My dad has had the unique pleasure of abandoning his kids twice. How quaint.
I'm bitter about this. I was cheated out of a dad; a dad that I can remember! It's not like he was unknown to me; I remember my dad. I remember sitting in his lap eating sardines with mustard (gag) and I remember the smell of beer on his breath. I remember his motorcycle and sitting at the table eating dinner. I remember visiting his parents one morning so early that it was still dark. And it burns me.
It has affected every aspect of who I am; my ability to trust, my self-worth, my view of people. It has affected my thoughts on marriage and home life. It has affected my relationship with Jeff, Isaac and Mara. And for a while, it affected my relationship with my mom and step-dad. It would appear the only person who came out of this debacle unscathed...is my dad.
I listened to so many excuses from him and my step-mom. How badly they felt about the whole situation. How often they thought about us. How they wondered if we were okay. But never once did they pick up a phone. Never once did they send my mom some money so we could have more than a few changes of clothes. Never once did they consider the things my brother and I did without because it was all my mom could do to pay the house payment and put food on the table. And now, 35 years into this life, I'm still picking out the shrapnel. Years later, my dad is still my Shimei. His act of selfishness is still burning me and even though I tell myself that I've forgiven him, I still bear that pain. And the only person it's hurting is me.
So today, I'm clearing the air. Today I release it. I forgive my dad. For my own sake, I refuse to carry that baggage any longer. I don't feel like I can move forward with my journey into faith if I'm dragging this battered history with me. I have a father now; One who adopted me into His fold and loves me more than I'll ever know. My earthly father may have let me down, but my Heavenly Father never will and from here on, that's who I'm going to focus on.
Now the question is: Who's Your Shimei? Don't tell me, as I am so unworthy of hearing the hurts of anyone out there in bloggerland, but God wants to know. Can you accept God's challenge of forgiveness and release your Shimei?
6 comments:
Wow this post about made me cry! I completely understand how you feel. My mother left my dad and three kids when I was six years old. I have long forgiven her, but even at 40 years old, my heart still cries for a mother. Someone to give me advice with my children and teach me how to cook and sew so I don't have to research it from some stranger on the internet ( Although I am grateful for those bloggers) There's a country song (not sure of the name) that talks of a girl that wonders if her mother ever thought of her. And also talks about a mother brushing her hair, helping her out for the prom, etc)
These parents don't understand the hurt they have caused. I am such a hardened person because of this. Not mean or anything, but have carried this sadness my whole life and even though I've forgiven her, I still feel like a child in so many ways. Like I've never grown up. Hard to explain! I'm glad you have put the past behind you and our "Father" is the only one we need to please and he will never leave us. I have faith some day he will make all the hurt and wrongs go away.
"and even though I've forgiven her, I still feel like a child in so many ways. Like I've never grown up"
((((Shelly)))) I'm crying for you. I know exactly what that feels like and almost included something to the effect in my post, but I was afraid of sounding foolish. One doesn't feel grown up because part of you is still seeking the affirmation from the absent parent. I still want to be adored by my father, to be his special little girl.
Part of the difficulty I've had in dealing with this situation is that I'm afraid I hurt my mom by grieving for my dad. That in some way I lessen the incredible job she did raising us by mourning the relationship with my dad. It's such a hard road to navigate!
Although my Dad left us as well, it was somewhat different. I am blessed to still have a relationship with him (he confessed his erring ways and truly repented after years), but because he is an unbeliever, we can only relate to each other so much. When God says He hates divorce... I totally get it! I hate it too, and cry whenever I hear of a family that chooses this option. I realize that almost half have no choice (my mom and mother-in-law didn't have a choice in the matter), which makes it even more sad and horrible.
I hope you have peace, but don't be discourages if you find you must forgive him again and again. More often than not, it's a process of forgiving, but by declaring it, you've taken a huge leap and set the path!
At night you lay in your bed and think about God allowing it to be written that we are not to let the Sun go down on our wrath. And so you pray, Dear God, I release these morons into your care and judgement. They are more than I can handle. Their stupidity and treachery go beyond my power to change. Therefore I give the idiots up to you to handle. Do with them as you will. I'm tired of the battle. Good night sir.
Michael
forgive yourself.
And thank you for the post.
a faint reflection of my past too.
(((((HUGS))))
Selene
Andie,
I'm so sorry that you have gone through this with your Dad. I went through the same with my Dad. I forgave him a long time ago. My step-dad ended up filling the role of my Dad, and I am glad that it turned out that way. I know that I lived a much better life because of it. Same with Robbie and his birth mother.
I am so glad that I have inspired you to write this post to be able to give you the "pleasure" of feeling free of guilt & pain because of your Dad. I definitely have a Shimei, and I hope that one day I can write the same thing & forgive them. The bad thing is that my Shimei is a person that is hurting my husband and children. Not me. It is my in-laws.
Post a Comment