After the last grocery trip, I told Jeff prices were going up. Sugar is up .50 a bag. Broccoli is double the price at about $3 a bunch. You can count on $4-5 for a dozen brown eggs. And don't get me started on meat prices...on that subject, let me just say Thank God for Bambi! I try not dwell on it because I know that most prices are cyclical, but it would appear that these prices may be here to stay. According to the PPI Report released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, March saw the largest one month jump in food prices in 26 years! In it's sixth consecutive monthly increase, food prices rose 2.4%. Some of the 'startling' increases they report include:
Fresh vegetables up 56.1%
Fresh fruits up 28.8%
Eggs up 33.6%
Pork up 19.1%
Beef up 10.7%
Dairy products up 9.7%
So what does it all mean? It the trend continues, it means that $100 bag of groceries that you're buying this year will cost you $124 this time next year. Wrap your mind around that. If you spend $100 a week on groceries, you'll be spending nearly $1250 more this year on groceries! Twelve hundred and fifty dollars. It's frightening, isn't it? And what makes it even more frightening is the fact we can't avoid it. We can't opt out of eating. So what do you do? GARDEN my friend! Take up your trowel and get some dirt under your fingernails. Spend $25 dollars on seeds and reap the benefits ten-fold! Spend a little more for canning supplies and eat all winter on that $25 investment by preserving your harvest!

Things are getting scary, folks. As my friend Sue said, "this country is going to the dogs," which I think is unfair because even dogs have standards! We've outsourced all our basic needs to the lowest bidder, forgotten the skills necessary to accomplish/acquire those basic needs and now we're complaining because we're snared hook, line and sinker. We're completely at the mercy of corporate America and unless we take action to free ourselves, the hook is only going to dig in deeper. Reclaim your freedom by standing on your own two feet and relinquishing convenience for knowledge, individuality and ingenuity!
Think you can't do it? Think you're incapable of feeding yourself? My dear old great-aunt Margie did it right up til the end. She lived on the 17th story (give or take) of a retirement high rise in downtown Ashland, Kentucky and raised a garden on the balcony of her apartment. She simply split bags of top soil and planted tomatoes, peppers, eggplants right in the bags. She was about 80 at that point.
Still don't think you're able? Too complicated or difficult for you? Both of my children had small gardens last year that they tended themselves. Sure, they had a bit of help from mom, but the kids planted their seeds, pulled weeds and harvested the bounty of their own accord. They were 3 and 4 at the time. You're smarter than a 3 year old, right? I'm afraid that we're coming to a point that we won't have a choice in gardening. You'll either raise your own food or you'll go without. As for me and mine, we'll eat. And we'll eat well.
13 comments:
Wonderful post. We have been expanding our garden every year. This will be our biggest yet. We're praying that we'll be able to move to our dream homestead with 10 acres within the year, if we're able to I'll have at least 1 acre worth of garden plus berry fields.
Hi Autumn! Thanks for stopping by. It's great to hear from another Buckeye mama!
Great post I used part of your post today in my blog I hope you don't mind me doing that. Keep up the great work Andrea you have a very good blog.
::blush::
Thanks Pete!
It's getting scary out there, so it's nice to have friends who got my back!
You really don't want to hear my thoughts on this. I'm studying Daniel in the Bible right now. Let's just say, food prices are just ONE of my concerns when it comes to food! If I could shout it from the top of this mountain my message would be LEARN TO GARDEN NOWWWW!!!
(and buy seeds that can reproduce). Am I acting irrational or scary? Sorry.
I have a question... my math isn't that good. How can all that food be going up 20-35% per category, the cost per bag or whatever from $00 to $125 and they say it's only a 2.4% increase? Should it be a 24% increase?
P.S. I NEVER send my husband to the store unless it's an emergency for exactly the reasons you mentioned! (Sorry Pete. I don't mean to be sexist - just a fact at our particular house).
Amy,
You've got mail.
:)
Great post! I agree with Amy, I think the inflation price of food is up more than 2%. I remember reading that article a while ago and thought somebody does not know their math. Gardening and preserving food hopefully is on the forefront of peoples minds.
Love the part of the hubby grocery shopping. I don't let mine go because he would bring home $100 worth of food that would last 2 days.
So is it too late to get started for this spring here in central Ohio? Where can I find a guide as to plant what and when?
It's OK Amy I find myself buying things we just don't need from time to time I think it's just something in men we just can't get rid of.
Anonymous-
It's **so** not too late to start this year!!! In fact, most folk don't plant their garden til the middle of May to protect against the frost. I have most of my seeds out, but I won't plant the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, squash, etc til May 15, give or take.
If you don't have access to a tiller, check out Sunbelt rentals, located in many Lowe's stores. You can rent a tiller for 6 hours for a reasonable sum! Or consider a container garden...they're quick and simple. Another option is this no-dig garden:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2008-06-01/No-Dig-Garden-Beds.aspx
It's too late to start your tomatoes and peppers from seed BUT if you buy heirloom/open-pollinated varieties, you can save the seed from them this year to plant next year. Farmers markets/farm stores carry some nice varieties now and if you're not sure which type to choose, ask for help! Generally the hybrids are labeled F1, so avoid those!
As far as a guide that may be helpful, try the OSU extension office:
http://extension.osu.edu/topics/garden/vegetables-and-herbs
If you need any help, please please please feel free to email me. Depending on your location in central Ohio, I may be able to give you some hints on the best farm stores for finding seed! I'm still learning, but I'd be happy to pass on to you what I've learned! It's so important to learn these skills, and gardening isn't nearly as difficult as some people make it out to be! arlynch@woh dot rr dot com
Amen, sister. I am tired of hearing oh it is only a few cents. Apple juice from China???? No thank you.
I am growing tomatoes, squash, peppers, and herbs in pots on an old cement pad that was a dog run.
God Bless.
Amazing post! I'm still very interested in gardening. I saw some tomato plants @ Lowe's the other day. I think they were roma tomatoes. Should I buy them and try them? Or should I try another veggie that might grow planting this late in the season? I would probably be growing them in a pot.
Linda, I don't know anything about your planting zone, but try a Roma anyway! They're very good for salsa and tomato sauce and such. Very meaty, sweet tomatoes. I grow Russian Big Romas that grow to the size of your fist!
Post a Comment