
Well, it's been 2 weeks since my last Preparedness Challenge and I know you can't wait to tell the world what you've accomplished since my last post! Things have been a little slow here at the Run. There's so little you can do when there's 2 feet of snow, the county has declared a Level 2 emergency and they're bringing in wheel loaders to create snow dams to stop drifting. But I've kept on keeping on, determined to be a little better prepared tomorrow than I was today. Thankfully, we've had a break in the weather the past day or two and the temperatures have even risen a bit. We were a balmy 36 today. Whoot whoot!!
So here's what I've done:
-Mara and I did a little second-hand shopping and picked up some larger-sized clothes for Isaac and a few dresses for her.
-Started tomatoes, eggplant and peppers from saved seeds.
-Refilled the fuel oil tank, so we should be set for heat til November or later.
-Added to the food storage: beans, rice, lentils, sugar, pasta, relishes/olives and coffee.
-Added to the toiletry closet: cold medicine, Ibuprofen, Children's Tylenol, soap.
-Bought some local honey and got acquainted with the Honey-man. (Never would have guessed we were kin!)
-Practiced important skills: baking, sewing, culturing.
All in all, not a bad week or two. I know you're chomping at the bit, so now's your chance. What have you done in the past week or two?
So here's what I've done:
-Mara and I did a little second-hand shopping and picked up some larger-sized clothes for Isaac and a few dresses for her.
-Started tomatoes, eggplant and peppers from saved seeds.
-Refilled the fuel oil tank, so we should be set for heat til November or later.
-Added to the food storage: beans, rice, lentils, sugar, pasta, relishes/olives and coffee.
-Added to the toiletry closet: cold medicine, Ibuprofen, Children's Tylenol, soap.
-Bought some local honey and got acquainted with the Honey-man. (Never would have guessed we were kin!)
-Practiced important skills: baking, sewing, culturing.
All in all, not a bad week or two. I know you're chomping at the bit, so now's your chance. What have you done in the past week or two?
8 comments:
Well, I can't say I've done any prepping other than learning that left out raw milk makes great yogurt! But, I've been thinking about it. And planning my garden is a big part of my prepping plan.
I did some research on water, but I need to a lot more research. There just isn't enough time to read and learn everything! I could read all day!
Oh, and I'm taking the GNOWFGLINS cooking class to brush up on some cooking skills - fermented foods, soaked grains, and sour doughs. That kind of thing. I hope to learn how some of this can help with survival skills.
Hang in there - spring WILL come!
Hi Amy,
Sounds like you've had a busy week! I need to learn about soaking grains and sour dough too. I've made a sweet-cinnamony sour dough bread before, but nothing along the lines of traditional sour dough sandwich bread.
What kind of water research are you doing, if I may ask?
Hugs,
Andrea
We bought two radios for listening when the grid goes down. We replaced $150 worth of storage food we had used up cause it was so damn convenient. The Handmaiden has shopped and bought us good food for a good price. That is no small accomplishment these days.
Michael
To be honest, I had to take a break. At times, I just want to read others blogs and at others not think about all the doom and gloom. We did get stuff from EE and the kids just joined 4-H and have started spring cleaning. Stopped at Goodwill over the weekend, but was not impressed. So not as ambitious as I should be.
I'm teaching myself how to malt various grains (starting with corn and wheat). After extracting the sugars from the grain, you are able to boil down the liquid and make syrups, or add yeast, and ferment for alcohol.
Keep on keeping-on! Way to go Andrea and you know you won't regret it. Went shopping for CB radio, spouse is taking knitting lessons and buying yarn and storing it for later. We dropped cable and I made homemade antenna last week. Am looking at Michaels picks for Shortwave and buying solar charger next week.
Will be making your Meatloaf tomorrow! Sounds good...Mmmmm Meatloaf sandwiches with rye, hot German mustard, cheese, tomato, lettuce. spinach and sprouts!
Keep up the great work!
Dan
We planted our first seeds today, woo hoo!
After digging out of the snow much like you we are pleased to say weve been having spring like weather here in Ky. With that said I got cabbage, kale, celery, and some flowers in the greenhouse. The garden has been plowed and the raised beds turned over. the garden recieved a 20 foot extension to keep up with the growing family. I made some orange marmilade on Sunday. We bought a new washer and dryer, Energy efficient.
Strawberry beds cleared out and they are coming up again. Tomorrow if its not raining I plan on tearing up a portion of the front yard.
Post a Comment