Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Easy Cleaning

Jeff thought this was the most clever means EVER of cleaning a microwave, so I thought I'd pass it on!

Tonight I was warming some Alfredo sauce in the microwave when a phone salesman called. Wrong number. I have no idea who Raynelle Schaeffer is. Midway through the call, I hear a huge pop and look over to see Alfredo sauce dripping off the ceiling of the microwave. Well horse-feathers. I hate cleaning the microwave, probably worse than anything! Honestly, I'd rather clean toilets, but I do have a trick that simplifies the chore...and it works for old baked-on splatters as well as fresh Alfredo sauce explosions.

In a heavy microwave-safe dish such as Pyrex, place 1/2 cup of baking soda and 2-3 cups of water and place in the microwave. Set the microwave to Stun, em, I mean Cook for 10 minutes and walk away ranting. When you come back after an appropriate cooling-off time, you'll see that the baking soda-infused water turned to steam and effectively steamed the gunk off the inside of the microwave. Carefully remove the hot Pyrex dish and wipe the interior of the microwave with a clean, damp cloth. Now your oven should be shiny, clean and disinfected.

And next time I'll check the caller ID when the phone rings during dinner.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This tip of not answering the phone while microwaving goes well with "don't make hot chocolate in a tupperware container and put a lit on it to shake it up and blend it". Explodes everywhere. Only there isn't any steam to clean it up - only elbow grease!

Pete Smith said...

I will have to try this, I hate to clean the microwave myself.

Anonymous said...

Chemistry was not my thing. LOL Do you heat the water in the microwave or does it just turn to steam on its own after 10 min. My microwave shamefully does not get cleaned as often as it should. Gotta try this.

Andrea said...

I barely passed chemistry, so you'll never see any of that on my blog. Blech.

Just put the baking soda and water in a dish and microwave it til it's really boiling hard and steaming up the interior...10 minutes was just a guess...may take more or less time. Then let it sit for 20 minutes or so, til the dish cools off. The baking soda dissolves in the water and along with the steam, softens up the baked-on splatters. It's so much easier to clean that way!

Linda said...

I hate to say it, but this is how Robbie and I have always cleaned our microwave. Well Robbie. I also can't stand to clean the microwave. But he looked online one time, and this was on there and he tried it!

Another thing that he found online was after we got married, and we had all of that shoe polish on our car windows. Just take some rubbing alchohol and it wipes right off!