Tuesday, January 12, 2010

In Defense Of Ohio

In most preparedness circles, it's all about moving west. Go west, young man, go west. All you hear and all you read is that the Plains states, down through Arizona are where you need to be when the excrement hits the fan. And while there are some legitimate arguments to retreating west, I think there is much to be argued for Ohio. What's so great about Ohio? Let me tell you.

Temperate Climes: While Ohio does enjoy 4 distinct seasons each year, in general we don't endure the harsh temperatures and weather that many of the western states suffer. Our hot weather is rarely over 100 degrees and our cold temps rarely drop below 0. Our springs are sunny, our falls crisp and breezy. We're rarely bothered with actual 'heat waves' or blizzards. There are very few extremes to be had in terms of weather in Ohio.

Water: We have plenty of it. While we have occasional dry spells, I've never seen the pond across the road dry up, neither the lake. If you can't reach the lake, you can try the creek over the hill, or the river on the edge of town. There is water to be had within walking distance no matter where you go.

Good Soil: The ice age glaciers stopped just short of our area, leaving behind valleys of rich, black soil perfect for growing any sort of crop. While extensive farming has depleted the soil in many areas, I've never had difficulty growing anything I set my mind to grow.

Large Mennonite/Amish Population: Okay, admittedly that's a strange item to list as a perk to living in Ohio, but to me it makes perfect sense. Here are 2 populations that intentionally forgo the trappings of modern American life and probably won't notice when banks close or the Internet is offline (permanently). If I need to learn old skills, who better to learn from?

Cost of Living: It's cheap to live here, y'all. Homes are cheap, groceries are cheap, fuel is cheap. And while prices are on the rise, it's still more affordable to live here than many places in the civilized world.

Agrarian Culture: We're a population full of farmers...be they mega-farmers or micro-farmers. Our folklore revolves around agriculture, our children wear bibbed-overalls and John Deere hats and we have $300K equipment that we only drive twice a year. Ohio knows farming, and I intend to stay where the food is.

The Castle Doctrine: You break into my house, I can shoot you. Yay SB 184!

Concealed-Carry Friendly: Ohio has recently expanded laws making concealed carry more "user friendly". Jeff will have to expound on this topic as it's more his shtick than mine.

OSU: We have a kick-arse football team. And if you don't like football, we have the 'Best Damn Band in the Land.' And how many other states do you know can write their state name in script on the football field? It's my hope that Isaac may go to OSU one day...we just keep telling him "If you can't run the ball, you can always dot the ~I~." If you don't understand that statement, you may not be a Buckeye!

Family: With few exceptions, all my family is here...from my mom, 5 miles away as the crow flies, to my 5th and 6th cousins who live across the road and all the distant relatives I've met in one-room Baptist churches dotted across the Ohio landscape. I can't imagine life without seeing my mom every other day, or watching Granny Magdalene working in her flowerbeds.

Ohio is my life. And it will take more than the end of the world to move me.

8 comments:

Jenna said...

Oddly enough, I've been having this same conversation for a week with a lot of my west coast friends who are feeling the need to head East again. Cost of living is great, the choices are endless (Don't like the flats? We've got mountains too. Tired of the endless fields? Head to lake Erie and enjoy the water.) and it just makes a great home.

Added bonus to the Amish issue? Amish/Mennonite = bulk food stores galore (cheese shops, local butchers, and folks who know how to process a deer OR the best apple cider known to man are also a perk) as long as you skip the tourist traps. I'm able to do most of my pantry building in two shopping trips a year - and at a fraction of the price.

The weather though??

Ummm... I tend to hedge. My husband neglected to really explain the whole "snow-belt" concept to me BEFORE I moved up. Negative wind chills are a serious pain. But at least we have a lot of cheap wood to keep the woodstove cranking!

Unknown said...

Did someone seriously suggest Arizona? Obviously they don't know their geography and haven't been there. I would NOT want to be there if something happened. Everyone there will know in about 24 hours or less how precious water really is! And that there ain't enough for everyone that's there!

I'm in CA and we get more rain than Arizona (I think!) and if I'm concerned about one thing - it's water. Ohio looks pretty good... you may want to keep that your little secret!

Andrea said...

Jenna, Ohio DOES have weird weather, but it's been years since we've had a blizzard, a flood, a severe drought, etc. We don't have crazy hot (112 in the shade) or crazy cold (-37), few tornados outside of Xenia, no duststorms and only one hurricane that I can recall. So all things considered I think we do fairly well by our weather.

And yes...you were following my drift about the Amish/Mennonite. If the grid goes down, their lives will continue like they have for centuries...right down to drying food, milling flour and smoking cheese!

Andrea said...

Amy, in survival circles, it's all about moving west of the Mississippi to the scantly populated areas of the west. But it seems silly to move somewhere with crazy temperatures and weather, few natural resources (like water) and no football team. :) Does Utah even have a football team?

1st1shot said...

Andrea,

Ohio does have a long way to go on the ccw laws. If you and your husband are not already members, I encourage you to join the Ohioans For Concealed Carry (OFCC). They also have a pretty good website and work hard to correct the CCW laws here in Ohio.

- Seth

Jan said...

I have been thinking about this very thing also. As for the state of KY I think we are about in the same boat as OH. Plenty of great weather, farmers, amish, and friends. Prices to our homes are way low. And its so much more about how much land you own rather then how much money you have in the bank. we find ourselves millionaires if we own our land here. we have yet to feel the real CRUNCH from the economy. We live like we used too. Our friends, at our great Amish store, love to help with recipes and sell cheese that is out of this world and way less expensive then the grocery store. Not to mention the bulk. And I would much rather go there then at the grocery jsut becasue of the hospitality. I have found myslef sitting there talking to them for hours.
Great topic Andrea.

kathy said...

It sounds like Ohio is a lot like Massachusetts, at least in terms of climate. We do get a lot of ice lately. I got a concealed carry permit with no problem. We lack the Amish but we have a lot of old Yankees which is nearly as good in a lot of ways. What we are all lacking is each other. Wouldn't you love to live in a community with Amy and Heather and Sharon and all the other bloggers who are so determined to live this life?

Linda said...

I love this blog! I have been trying to talk Robbie into moving up North (not sure which state) for about 2 years now. So far, nothing. But maybe 1 day I will get him there. He has family in Ohio, so maybe there?????

Oh, and I was in marching band in HS, and we could write our initials on the field (CH)! Just sayin' :-)

And we live in the middle of a bunch of crop fields, and I have seen little ponds dry up around here. Texas heat SUCKS!