Friday, December 25, 2009

A Different Kind Of Christmas

It's a little after 5am here in Ohio and I'm wide awake. Not a creature is stirring, though Mara sat up in bed about an hour ago to ask if Santa had been here yet.

No.
Go back to sleep.

This is a different kind of Christmas for me and mine. We're back in church after a hiatus of several years and the impact that's made on our holiday season is incredible. We're seeing things through spiritual eyes instead of Earthly ones. Jeff is beginning to understand the Glory of his Creator. The kids know it's all about the Baby in the Barn and that today is His birthday. Today we celebrate because God left Heaven to walk among us. Emmanuel.

This year we cut back on spending; not because we're in dire straits, but because the spending is all for naught. The kids still opened presents, but they were thought-out and meaningful, not just presents for the sake of presents. They received a few gifts that we knew they'd really appreciate and that would last them for years; that will stimulate imaginations instead of mindless, goofy, battery-operated junk from China.

And this year, we gave a present to Jesus. Our church committed to one less present per family this year and that money was taken up in a special offering last weekend. Our goal was to raise $14,000 dollars to build a well for the Turkana people in Kenya, where a number of First Christian missionaries are living. It was to be built right next to a small, one-room mud hut that serves as the church for that village.

We didn't make the $14,000.

We raised more than $55,000. Our church is giving the gift of water to 3 or 4 villages instead of one, just by giving up one gift.

That one simple gift-given has meant more to me this year than anything. I'm sure there are cynics out there who would find fault with this. They'd say build wells in America. Give the money to Americans. America is so blessed, and so spoiled. We consider it a hardship having to downgrade our cable or buy off-brand products at Walmart. In reality, we have no idea what hardship is. Having lived 2 weeks without an operational well this past summer, I can't image how hard it is in areas like Kenya. By giving up that Daisy-Pees-A-Lot doll and a few Matchbox cars, my family helped give the gift of water to our Brothers and Sisters in Christ.

This year has been a different kind of Christmas, and probably the best Christmas I've experienced for years on end.

Merry Christmas to you and yours! And God bless us, everyone.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you all!

Stacy McKenna said...

I was also awake at 5am... the boy woke at three crying in his sleep, and after comforting him back down I couldn't get back to sleep. He cried out again around 6 and after that bout of soothing him I finally fell back asleep.

This year my mom's side of the family is exchanging donations of $25 to charity in their "recipient"'s name, with everyone choosing charities based on things important to the recipient. Christmas presents for the kid were paint supplies (including smock and brush) from the parents, and Santa brought Candyland, a deck of Go Diego Go cards, and a Star Wars puzzle - the kinds of toys that never need batteries and will be used for years. I gave up gifting people with trinkety stuff years ago. At this point I opt for good books, tickets to live performances or "events" like the zoo, or usable objects I know people want (like last year my friends collectively bought me a grain mill for my birthday). I find Christmas much more meaningful when the gifts have thought and regular use involved, or lifelong memories associated with them.

Merry Christmas!!!

Unknown said...

Hurray for your congregations! Seriously! That is really awesome. And by blessing others, you are blessed as well.

Someone gave a gift to World Vision in our honor this year(instead of a nice gift they've given us over the last several years). It was the only gift that brought tears to my eyes. It thrilled my heart!

The Jaracz Family said...

That's wonderful about the wells! That's what Christmas is all about!!! I'm so happy for you.