Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Concealed Carry? Jesus Would Approve!

Bless his heart, my husband is starting to figure things out! I tell you, with all the love in my heart, that my husband was a heathen, with no religious convictions whatsoever. But since we began attending First Christian, he's beginning to see things differently.

Jeff has a concealed-carry license (permit?) and has carried for quite a while, especially in the wake of some the recent mass shootings. But for a while he said that he has had difficulties meshing the idea of Christian pacifism with concealed carry. We've all heard about "turning the other cheek" and "walking a mile" which makes it seem like you're not supposed to defend yourself. That was a bitter pill for Jeff to swallow, especially with a lovely wife ; ) and 2 small children in tow. Then he told me about a site he'd been reading lately that dealt with the moral/ethical/social/religious issues surrounding concealed carry and as he read, he said things started making sense.

He recalled a verse that our pastor had quoted recently and it all began to mesh for him: Luke 22; 35-36. Jesus told the disciples that following His betrayal, they should take money, a travelers bag and a sword when they went out to spread the Good News. If they didn't have a sword, they should sell their clothes and buy one. That's paraphrasing obviously, but Jesus encouraged his disciples to protect themselves, to keep a sword handy. He encouraged them to carry a concealed weapon, old-school style! Jeff was quite relieved! Becoming a Christian doesn't mean that he can't defend his family! In fact, Jesus would approve of it!

I don't post terribly often on either Christianity or CCW, but this one stirred me because Jeff is starting to understand. Being a Christian doesn't mean that you have to roll-over and let the world abuse you. It means that you submit yourself to God's will and that Jesus is your ransom and advocate. It means that you are victorious through Jesus. And it also means you should look out....the disciples are packing heat!

7 comments:

Chief Instructor said...

There is a big difference between, "Turning the other cheek" and a lamb being led to slaughter.

As you noted, there are a number of self-defense references in the bible. Self-defense is a choice. Survival is a choice.

On occasion in my firearms classes, someone will comment that they will just shoot their attacker in the leg or arm to disable them. I tell them that with that plan, THEY will most likely end up harmed or dead. Precision and fine motor skills go out the window in a stressful situation.

If someone has decided they are going to harm you (or your family) and they have disregarded your instructions to stop, you need to fire at the center of mass until the threat stops. Then call 911, tell them you were attacked and defended yourself, and to send the police.

Self-defense is certainly one of the most moral choices you can make.

Unknown said...

My husband is a pastor, and while I do not recall his preaching on this particular passage, I do know that he would defend his family should the need arise. He's jumped up from bed more than once when he thought something was a miss (won't disclose his choice of protection he keeps). He has preached several times that there are just and unjust wars; that Christians can serve in just wars with a clear conscience; that the Bible supports police and law enforcement as governmental authorities with the power to protect and defend; etc. However, there are even more passages than the one you mentioned that speak to a "turn the other cheek" situation. This would indicate some limited use in "self-defense". I would need to study this more before commenting on what those limitations would be.

This may not be the place to bring this up, but I have one concern about the philosophy a lot of preppers have regarding the government and self defense(I consider myself a prepper although a novice). Those that are Christians often forget the passage in Romans 13:1 "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." Many preppers see the government as the enemy. And governments very well may be in opposition to God and Christians, including our own government at some point, which would make them the "enemy of God". But, it is clear throughout scripture that governments are only in power by God's hand. He often allows "evil" governments to be in control so as to bring us to repentance - this is so NOT PC!! But I felt it must be mentioned in connection with the self defense because many preppers feel they have a "right" to stand against the government. Each situation must carefully be weighed against the Word of God and IN CONTEXT.

I pray we never have to find ourselves in such a situation, but unfortunately, many of our brethren around the world have been forced to do so. Perhaps now is the time to study and debate this so we are prepared mentally, physically, and spiritually should the day arise. This is a worthy debate and not one we should shy away from or get angry or self-righteous about. So, thanks for a great post that will challenge us to the fullest!

Unknown said...

I got a chance to visit with my husband about the passage you mentioned. He reminded me that later in the same chapter, Jesus told Peter to put his sword away - "no more of this." So this passage is neither for or against self-defense. However, Jesus never did away with the self-defense of the Old Testament. When He stated "turn the other cheek", He was prohibiting vengeance, not self defense. You can't Biblically "go after" someone who has wronged you. You must allow the authorities established by God (police, army, etc) to do that (Rom. 13). You can protect yourself when someone comes after you because Jesus never abolished the Old Testament principle (Exodus 22:2-3).

I found an interesting website that readers might like for further study: www.biblicalselfdefense.com
I haven't had a chance to read this site thoroughly, but it appears to be right on this issue.

Andrea said...

Amy, that's how I took it too...that it's okay to defend yourself, but only in a life-threatening situation; not to revenge an insult.

Either way, it has my husband thinking about God and that's the most important thing at this point!

Unknown said...

Excellent! God works in mysterious ways!

Merry Christmas!

kathy said...

I have an LCC as well. I am still worried about it as I have little kids at home. The law says that gun and ammo must be stored seperately but that won't do me much good against a middle-of-the-night intruder. But I think the law is htere for a reason. How many children have been killed when they got into a gun that was not secured? It is such a problem and one I am still pondering.

Unknown said...

I've heard of small lock boxes that can hold a hand gun that use your thumb print to open it. The idea is that you keep the box by your bedside and should you hear someone in your house at night, you just put your thumb on the lock, the box opens, and you have your gun. I haven't actually seen one of these, but I thought that it would be a reasonable choice with kids in the house.