Saturday, November 21, 2009

Secret Room

I've always been enamoured of the idea of stumbling across a secret room or a hidden staircase, but having grown up in simple ranch homes, it hasn't happened yet! The first thing I do when we move into a new house is look for cubbies, nooks, hidden spots, but so far I haven't found a thing. No hidey-holes, no secret stashes, no Mason jars full of old coins. Nothing. But now, I have a plan...(cue the mad scientist music, please.) If I can't find my secret room, we'll build one instead!



We have this weird closet in the living room, sort of tucked behind the basement stairs. And Jeff is talented with power tools. And that's where my plan comes in. We're kicking around the idea of taking the bifold doors off the closet and creating a built-in bookcase that swings open to access the closet behind it. With the right oak trim and some imagination, we could have usable storage space AND an area that is completely hidden from view. How awesome would it be to have a place to hide goodies (guns, Christmas presents, safes, important papers) and noone would know it's there but you? Plus in the case of something like a home-invasion, it could possibly even be a life-saver!



After the Christmas hubbub is through and we all have a little down time, we're going to get busy planning out our secret room. With any luck, it should be a fairly quick, fairly inexpensive project.

Okay.

You can turn off the mad scientist music now.

2 comments:

Chief Instructor said...

One of the properties we considering right now to move to has a number of excellent nooks that could be turned into "secret rooms".

The coolness factor aside (!), they really can be quite beneficial. There are TONS of plans and suggestions on the Internet, as well as a number of books on the subject.

Pete Smith said...

I have had a hidden room on my list of plans for about a year now. I wish I had started working on it months ago, but now I have to many other items I must do so it will get pushed to the side for now. I do hope I get the time to work on this. A hidden room or hidden nook would be awesome place to hide supplies.

http://patriotsagainstthenwo.blogspot.com/