Thursday, October 8, 2009

Away To Me, Pig

"Away to me, pig", a line from the movie 'Babe', was the first thing that popped into my head tonight when the doctor confirmed that Isaac has swine flu. I'd had my suspicions, but I needed someone with a lab coat and a degree to make it real. He'd been running a fever all day that was getting progressively higher, had an upset tummy, and the clincher, the moment when I knew that Isaac was REALLY SICK; he climbed into bed and took a nap. My boy doesn't nap. At least not willingly.

It's odd, sort of surreal, to be dealing with swine flu after all the hullabaloo in the media over the past 6 months. I'm not afraid of it; I think it's a flu, just like any other flu with it's yearly mutations and characteristics. The media frenzy and scare tactics were/are nothing more than an attempt to drive up sales of newspapers and vaccines, in my opinion. What scares me at this point is the probability that this time next week, there will be 4 of us, hacking, wheezing, aching and otherwise miserable. On the sunny side, there's no need to worry about the vaccination now, is there?

While noone wants to be sick, it couldn't have happened at a better time. Next week is a vacation week for Jeff and a short school week for Isaac, so he won't fall behind in his school work and I'll have an extra pair of hands around while we work through the flu. And a further blessing, the pandemic closet is stocked to bursting. We have enough Tylenol, Motrin, Vicks, tissues, vitamins, Gatorade, toilet paper and good food to last us the duration. So if things are uncharacteristically quiet for the next week or two, remember us in your prayers and send Nyquil vibes our way.




4 comments:

Jacob Gittes said...

Good luck!
I am not a doctor, but you may want to look into the idea that it is best to not try to suppress a fever with Tylenol or other medication unless it is necessary (if the fever gets dangerously high).
Fever is actually the body's natural response to an infection. Higher temperatures help to kill the virus... the flu virus does not do well at higher temps, so by supressing the fever, you may prolong the flu. But do your own research!!

Pete Smith said...

I wish you and your child the best and as for me and my wife we will have you all in our prayers. God Bless Pete


http://patriotsagainstthenwo.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

You got it! Our prayers are going up for you. I just have to share this with you... The Christmas right after my mom passed away (In Oct. 2006), all three of my girls got the flu as well as my husband. On top of that, we got snowed in for several days and at the time we did not have 4-wheel drive. One of my daughters ran a fever for 9 days! I was about to go batty! It was all I could do not to burst out in tears! But, God allowed me to stay well despite everyone else being sick. I was able to be the care giver, which was a blessing. Then a friend who was a doctor, drove over in the snow in his jeep, put each girl up on the kitchen table and gave them an exam right there. Since I couldn't get to the doctor, the doctor came to me! Now that doesn't happen much in this day and age. These two things really helped me get through it.

The Jaracz Family said...

Hugs!