Yesterday was a bleak, windy, cloudy day with few prospects for anything other than napping. Yeah, still feeling listless. About 4 pm, a car I didn't recognize backed into our driveway and who should pop his head out but our friend Dallas! He walked around to the back of his SUV and popped the hatch and what should I see but a 20 gallon bin FULL of pears!!!
A few days earlier I had mentioned to him that Miss Mara loves pears and that my step-dad's pear tree was about to go on the real estate market (along with his rental property), so it didn't look like we'd get too many pears this year. Dallas has a pear tree and said he was afraid the wind would cause the pears to bruise so he picked them and brought them over to us. Bless his pea-pickin' heart! I know what we'll be doing today...canning pears!
I know. It's odd to get so excited about a 20 gallon bin of pears, but that means that Mara will be eating fresh, wholesome fruit all winter. It means Jeff won't have to shell out a dollar (or more) for a pint-can of pears that were grown in China, picked green and processed in some other 3rd world country before being shipped halfway around the world to Walmart in Ohio. It means that I'll have another shelf full of food, just in case the SHTF. And honestly, there's nothing better than a dish full of warm pears with some cinnamon and whipped cream. Especially when they were grown chemical-free in your friend's yard, 3 miles away.
The best gifts are oft unlooked for. Thanks Dallas!
3 comments:
Awesome! The best things in life are free (except the hard work you then have to do.)
I just got pears too but I had to pay for mine. Still, my kids love canned pears (seckle especially) and these are local and organic. Have a great time!
I love pears, I just picked all that was left on or trees. And you are right they are 1000 times better from your yard or a friends and not from a can that you buy in a Wal-Mart. Pete
http://patriotsagainstthenwo.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment