Sunday, August 2, 2009

Homestead Challenge

Busy week on the old homestead, but we got a lot accomplished! Finally, the weather is beginning to stabilize...it's actually warm with just an occasional shower! Tomatoes are really beginning to ripen and my half-runner beans are full and green. Could you ask for a more perfect week?


Plant Something- This week we planted the rest of our fall garden: peas, short-season beans, carrots, onions, turnips.


Harvest the Food- We just picked a half-bushel of green beans and our tomatoes are full and juicy! We're also harvesting herbs en masse: dill, parsley, mint, oregano, tarragon, basil and rosemary.


Preserve the Food- We're canning green beans and pepper slices, drying apples, peaches, tomatoes, celery, peppers, cherries and bananas. Starting on the herbs next.


Eat the Food- This week we finished up the last quart of last year's canned pears. Hoping we still have access to fresh pears this year. We're really enjoying those tomatoes; in salads and especially on sandwiches. There's just nothing like a tomato sandwich.


Reduce Waste- As always, the dinner scraps go the chickens and boy, do they appreciate it! This week I also traded a couple pounds of wax beans (that I didn't want) for a grocery bag full of banana peppers (that I did want!). The swap worked out beautifully for everyone, plus I found a local, like-minded family to get to know better.


Reuse/Repurpose/Reclaim - No major projects this week; BUT I did make some nifty produce markers/labels out of empty milk jugs.


Have Fun! - We tried out a new church this morning and the kids LOVED Sunday School! The pastor made the sermon so entertaining...how often can you say you've had FUN at church? We also took a couple of short bike rides this week; Isaac's first ride on his big bike and on the road no less. We rode up to the neighboring cemetery (which was freshly paved this spring) and spent an hour riding around.

2 comments:

The Jaracz Family said...

I'm glad that the church was so fun, that's how it should be!

Wow, you've been busy preserving, I'm jealous.

Did you try the pierogies yet?

Andrea said...

Nope, no pierogies yet. I do have the recipe printed out so that's a step in the right direction, right?

Yes, we're finally canning and drying! It's all coming on in dribs and drabs, but I'm hoping the warmer weather this week will give everything a good kick in the seat.