Monday, August 17, 2009

Homestead Challange Wk 3

It has been a trying week here at the Run. We've been tested financially, our patience is thin, our water stinks and our Wii doesn't work. Sigh. We must have a big, big blessing coming that we've had to endure the past week first. Anyway, here we go:

Plant Something: Again, no real seeds, but seeds of thought.

Harvest the Food: Oh my have we been harvesting! Our produce total for the month (so far!)is 197 pounds! Mainly tomatoes, but also green beans, cukes, herbs, grapes and bell peppers.

Preserve the Food: More green beans LOL. I also put up some grape juice, tomato juice, tomato soup, meat sauce and dried more potatoes, herbs and tomatoes.

Eat the Food: This week I tried an experimental yellow tomato pasta sauce; not too bad, but I don't know if I'd make it again. It just looked odd!

Reduce Waste: This week, as we had no running, potable water for 3 days (and there's a question in my mind whether it's safe yet) we were creative in reducing the amount of water we use. We used the '2 pan' approach to dishwashing...1 pan for washing, 1 pan for rinsing, and I'm sure it cut WAY down on the amount of water we waste.

Reuse/Repurpose/Reclaim: We're reusing/refilling our emptied, 3L water bottles to keep our store of drinking water without having to buy more.

Have Fun!: I'm just going to come right out and say we didn't have much fun this week. We got a lot accomplished, but other than church, visiting and swimming last night, it was a pretty craptastic week. I'm glad to be finished with last week and to start this week anew.

1 comment:

The Jaracz Family said...

You did great. My garden is hilarious now with all the weeds! I'm picking what I can and its all getting tilled under this fall!