Sometimes, in the whole swirling, whirling scheme of things, it's hard to know if you're actually accomplishing anything in your day to day life. Or maybe you're just hanging on by the seat of your pants and the skin of your teeth. And while I love lists, my lists normally consist of what I need to do, not what I've already done.
Heather has a fun, slightly adapted version of Sharon Astyk's Independence Day challenge that just fit the bill for me. A no fuss, no muss fun way to see what we've managed in the past week. Gotta love that! We just need to come up with a cool name for our challenge; any suggestions?
So if you're wondering what it is that we do every week...here it is.
Plant Something- Lettuces, oriental greens, kale and spinach in the bed on the north side of the house.
Harvest The Food- Green beans, onions, tomatoes and beets.
Preserve The Food- Last week we canned 12 qts of green beans and a few pints of beets. The onions are hanging from the shed rafters drying.
Eat The Food- We're still eating last fall's applesauce and jams! We're also enjoying fresh green beans and the first of the fresh tomatoes.
Reduce Waste- All the dinner scraps go to our spoiled chickens, which is great for them and the feeding frenzy is big fun to watch!
Reuse/Repurpose/Reclaim- Fun repurposing project; I cleared out a bed on the north side of the house to build a hot weather garden for cool weather plants. Using old galvanized bins, buckets, tubs and even a tea kettle, we planted our delicate lettuces in the coolest spot on the property. I did a little decorating with an old wooden barrel and my g-grandpa's plow. When the greens start to grow, I'll take a picture!
We finished our new chicken coop and used as many reclaimed materials as possible; freecycled windows, vinyl flooring we found in the attic, branches from an old tree for roosts, bits of old siding for nest boxes.
Have Fun!- We had a lot of close to home fun last week; going to the AF Museum, hiking at a local park, ice cream at an old-timey corner dairy.
1 comment:
Sounds like a good week to me :-) This is the time when most of the categories are readily filled, between planting for fall gardens, harvesting all the summer bounty, and preserving it all - not to mention enjoying all the possibilities to do with it! I also have lots of applesauce from last fall - but its hard to find a place for it with so many summer fruits begging to be enjoyed.
Your repurposing project sounds great, and very practical too. Can't wait to see pictures!
Post a Comment