I was just outside, pulling weeds and tossing some potatoes into last nights' campfire for dinner, and I noticed how NOT quiet it can be in the country. We don't have the 'doom boom' of loud radios or the ruckus of neighbors fighting over who drank the last diet Coke, but we do have our share of noise out here. This morning I could hear:
Cockadoodle Doo (need I elaborate?)
Grum Bang! Grum Bang! Grum Bang! ( an old tractor pulling a hay wagon)
Neigh (of mini horses next door)
Mooooo (of cattle down the road)
Spit Spit Spit (llamas getting lose in the cemetery, chased by a dozen of the county's finest)
Hummana Bummana (Ritchie Bros. auction dirge carrying 5 miles as the crow flies)
What's this all mean? Nothing really; I just thought it was interesting what you can hear when you sit down and really pay attention. Most of the time we block out our surroundings, maybe as a survival tactic, just trying to preserve our sanity? But when you quiet yourself and really listen, there's so much to hear.
1 comment:
:-) This made me smile. We don't have those sounds here, but you are right that just listening is a rewarding experience that attunes a person to things under the nose that might otherwise go unnoticed.
Post a Comment