I can't take credit for that phrase...it belongs to Kathy Harrison of "Just In Case" fame. When she uttered, or rather typed, that phrase, it really struck me. Do you ever have those 'rainy days of the spirit' type days, when you just want to give up? When your burdens feel so heavy that it's all you can do to roll out of bed and put your shoes on? As a 'modern-homesteader', I feel that way fairly often; that it would just be so much easier to quit, eat Wonder Bread and boxed meals and burn my clotheslines in effigy. Sometimes I feel like it's all for nought...that no good, no change will come of our trying to work the land, raise hens, grow food. Sometimes I wonder if we're doing our children a disservice by teaching them that progress isn't always a step forward...sometimes progress is a step back. I've had my fair share of 'rainy days of the spirit'.
Rainy days have such a bad reputation, you know? The ruination of yard sales, little league games and family reunions; turning backyards into mud slicks and flooding basements. But as a dear friend pointed out, rain is what makes the gardens grow. It fills our wells so we can have running water. It freshens the air and washes away the dust and grime that collect during those sunny, happy days.
What if rainy days of the spirit do the same thing? Serve to fill our wells of thought and water our blooming ideas. Wash away the grime and dust that we overlooked when things were bright and happy. Could it be that spiritual rainy days take a barren landscape and make it fertile again, with deep thoughts, rich ideas and hope for the next sunny day? Perhaps they give us a quiet time to sit back and reevaluate what we're doing and where we're going.
Maybe it's not possible to really appreciate sunny days without a few rainy days mixed in, to wash away the muck.
8 comments:
All. The. Time.
This month I blame the weather - grey and dreary with not a drop of precipitation to help the garden - the poor summer crops are just languishing.
Luckily, the volume of Swede and Irish in me results in a stubbornness that doesn't easily give in to such things...
Very interesting post. It really gets you thinking, doesn't it?
Yes. Yes, yes, yes. I had one of those days yesterday, and I suspect the feeling is still lingering this morning. Never could put it into words, but this is just right.
And like you, I never thought about translating the benefit of weather-rainy days to the rainy days of the spirit. My mother emailed me the other day when it was particularly dreary out asking me to list all the reasons to be thankful for the rain.... after the usual (preventing brush fire, restoring plants in the garden, water for animals and humans to drink, etc) she added in that rainy days help us find and appreciate the sunny ones.
Much to think about. Just as we have to make it through the rainy weather, hanging in through the rainy spirit days does lead to the end of the rain, right?
I took a day off from the garden yesterday. It felt good to drive to town (45 minutes from here), walk around Target and Michael's, had lunch at Taco Bell and let the kids run in the playland thing. I never do this anymore!! And it was nice to finally walk through a store and not feel compelled to spend money on whatever cute things we saw! I have spent months re-training my brain to avoid impulse shopping. My brainwashing is working!
So I had a "well-filling day" yesterday!
Cynthia
Raising kids and chaos...
www.underthemistymountain.blogspot.com
I am so moved that you quoted me. I am generally only quoted as "Mommy says...." and it's usually followed by something pretty mundane. It did help to think in terms of my garden. Thank you.
Snort! All my best quotes start out with "You'd better run, you little goober!!!" or "Darn tootin' I'm a mean mommy!"
Pure genius!
Definitely have days like that now and then. You described them aptly. Usually when they occur though, it is because I am losing sight of how much I enjoy the "doing" of things and get focussed on results and tangible things. It is the experience of living well that is so rewarding.
Post a Comment