"I got worms"...another movie reference, this one from Dumb and Dumber.
This is the first year I remember being out in the garden and thinking to myself..."Yuck! There are worms everywhere!" Yes, I know, worms are great for the soil, I still don't like the squirmy little things. BUT I do understand the value of worms in the garden and this is the first year EVER that I've noticed a large number of them. They are simply everywhere this year; and I'm not talking little ones! These are great big, fat, juicy ones! The kind that the mean boys in school would chase the little squeamish girls with...them kind of worms!
And I'm pretty proud of my worms; that indicates to me that we're starting to make a difference in the soil composition. That after 5 years of composting, leaves, straw, poo, and no chemicals, our soil is becoming a living, breathing, viable creature. There's a distinct difference in the texture of the soil, fewer weeds and it's easier to turn/till. It gives me hope for a huge and bountiful harvest this year, and in this day and age, hope is a valuable commodity.
3 comments:
Yay for your worms then!!! :-) And I love the movie "Dumb and Dumber". Robbie and I finally started our compost, so hopefully in the next year or 2, we can start our own garden!!!
Definitely a sign of a more healthy viable soil! I am a firm believer that if you garden your soil - the rest all just comes along naturally as a result.
The Robins are loving all the juicy worms they are finding in our backyard after the rains this week. I actually saw one close up, he looked like an oil derrick pumping his body up and down to pull the earthworm out. Its probably a lot of work for the little guys!
Good job on your soil stewardship! Keep up the good work...
Post a Comment