Yesterday we had our first real produce from the garden....mixed salad greens, spinach and radishes! And OMG, was it delicious! There was a wide variety of lettuce; baby romaine, lollo varieties, leaf, red, etc, and it simply made the best salad ever! We planted our lettuce, greens and spinach about a month ago, and the rain and sun in the past 2 weeks have done wonders for them. So far this year we're up to about a pound of produce from our garden...which is not bad for early spring in Ohio.
One pound down, 599 more to go!
I have a goal of producing 600 pounds of veggies and fruit from our garden this year, and considering we're not growing any squash, cantaloupe or watermelons, I'm not sure if it's a goal we can meet. I have hopes though. If the 75-80 tomatoes plants can produce 7-8 pounds of fruit each, we'll be in there. Plus I'm hopeful we may get a few tree fruits this year. We've had blossoms, so that's a good sign!
My biggest challenge will be remembering to weigh it first, instead of just shoving it in someone's mouth! I was blessed with a set of digital scales from a lady on freecycle, so not having the equipment won't be an excuse. I just have to develop the habit. To get everyone excited about our produce goal, I'd like to come up with a reward of some sort....'if you help me grow 600 pounds of food, then I'll reward you with ______'...something fairly inexpensive that everyone will enjoy. The only thing that comes to mind is a trip to the Farm Science Review in September but that's probably something we'd do anyway. I'm considering some sort of Harvest-themed party , but that's a lot of work for me, getting folks invited, house cleaned, food ready. Not much of a reward for dear old Mommy. I don't want to go out and *buy* a big reward...that sort of defeats the purpose, in my mind at least.
How do you fellow homesteaders reward your family for a job well done????
No comments:
Post a Comment