Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dirty Little Secret

I'll tell you one, but you have to promise never to tell. Ready?

{{{{{I don't believe in Global Warming}}}}}

I do believe in ghosts, the Easter Bunny, Santa, the Tooth Fairy and probably Sasquatch. Not global warming. But let me clarify that just a bit......

{{{{{I don't believe humans are the root cause of global warming and I don't believe trading in our SUV's will make a lick of difference}}}}}}

I do believe the Earth goes through cyclical changes in temperature. We've had ice ages, we've had tropical ages, and I'm 99% sure that neither one had to do with SUV's, carbon emissions, CFC's from hairspray, etc. I could be wrong though. Cavemen *may* have had SUV's and we've just never found the archaeological proof for it. Folks are getting so up in arms about global warming and what we can do about it, and I'm thinking 'This is stupid'. Only the human race would be so arrogant and bloated with self-importance to believe we're changing the course of geography, meteorology, and whatever other -ologies may apply. Should we do what we can to clean up the air? Absolutely. Do we need to use our resources more wisely than generations past? Without a doubt. Will forgoing hairspray and buying a new car to replace our old Jeep reduce my 'carbon footprint' and thereby relieve Earth of it's atmospheric issues? When pigs fly.

4 comments:

Scott said...

(applause)

The Jaracz Family said...

I tend to agree with the cyclical changes theory. Same as you, I just think we could use our resources more wisely and equitably. A lot of the ideas I get to be more self-sufficient are more economical and just fit in with my thinking and lifestyle. If I use local wood to heat with instead of oil, I save thousands of dollars a year (but a lot of work). It may or may not reduce my "carbon footprint." I'm certainly not going to buy more expensive trendy "green" products just for that purpose. I think its just become another marketing gimmick in a way.

Those pictures of the ice caps melting have me wondering, but I don't think anything I can personally do will change it.

Linda said...

I also applaud this blog. And I 100% agree with you. In fact, we had a friend over a few months ago, and we were all talking about this. It was a very interesting conversation.

Anonymous said...

Hear hear. I've a degree in environmental engineering, and while I applaud the changes Al Gore encourages (note I didn't say "makes himself"), I am dismayed by his argument of persuasion. These are all things we've known we needed to do for other, more obvious reasons since I was BORN in 1974.