Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shameful

This is so shameful, I'm just speechless.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123932034907406927.html

I've been trying to tell myself that I'm just paranoid; that I'm reading too much into the Monsanto/USDA thing. But this is another nail in the coffin. I firmly believe the government is trying to control food production to the point that we won't even bother to grow/cook our own. We'll just be good little automatons and buy our precooked, pre-chopped, pre-cleaned processed food stuffs. Sigh.

And as a closing thought....it's not paranoia if people really ARE out to get you.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Wow....that is so FRUSTRATING! It's like, OK, from a food safety standpoint I can see where this would bug a food safety inspector, HOWEVER, this is such a HUGE part of American church culture (especially the culture of Catholic churches...not as certain about Protestant, but I believe that is too, right?) that you cannot divorce this from the church. Potlucks and bake sales are such a big fundraiser, such a big church social event, and such a big focus to gather the parishoners, etc., that I cannot imagine churches without them. :( Church is not just religion, it's community and that is a community building/reinforcing event, that you can't nix it. How sad.

Anonymous said...

I was jaw-dropped at reading that... so there, if I wanted to host a party for my family at a community center, and invite more than 4 of them, I'd have to prepare the food in a commercially licensed kitchen?? That just strikes me as absurd. And as for the food safety and licensing - well, "they" haven't been doing too wonderful of that lately either... who is to say that the "inspected" (um?) kitchen is safer than the one where I prepare my own food, mostly grown either right here or from a local farmer whose methods are known to me?