Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I *Puffy-Heart* Wintersown Seeds

At first, Wintersown seemed like one of those 'too good to be true' schemes. You send them a SASE, they send you free seeds. You send them a small donation, they send you even more seeds. I've read at Freedom Gardeners that a number of folks participate in the SASE seed program and had wonderful experiences so I thought I'd try it. Here's what you do:

Go to Wintersown.org. Click on the link for free seeds, print out the form, fill it in and send it in with a SASE. That's it.

So last Monday, 8 days ago, I sent in my form along with a *small* donation and guess what I got in the mail today??? 12 packages of various seeds! 9 tomatoes, garden berries, peppers and eggplants...woohoo! They also included a nice flyer on how to save your own seeds for next year. Coolness. I didn't get all the seeds I requested...some varieties were already gone for the season, but she did an excellent job picking out fun, interesting varieties to try this year. And since I'm pretty good at saving my own tomato seeds, I can try even more varieties next year. Can't wait!

So assuming these are healthy, viable seeds, Wintersown has been a wonderful experience for me. If you've ever thought about starting your own tomatoes, it might be a fun way to get a number of fun varieties for cheap. Think about it, won't you???

1 comment:

Jan said...

I just sent my donation out! What fun. Can't wiat to see what we get.