Yes, it's hardly a weekly top ten as it's been months since I've done one. Just been busy folks. Today was a mad rush of grocery shopping, hardware runs, light-hanging, seed ordering. And the groceries still aren't all put away yet. So for the first weekly top ten in a month or better, I thought I'd talk about my chickens and groceries; specifically the reasons my girls LOVE grocery day. Bear in mind this is in no particular order.
My chicky-bits 10 favorite things about grocery day are:
1. wilted lettuce
2. yellowing broccoli
3. wrinkly apples
4. limp carrots
5. brown, spotty bananas
6. over-ripe avocados
7. mushy bagged lettuce mixes
8. seedy strawberries
9. mucky raspberries
10. spotty cauliflower
Figure it out? Grocery day is the day I empty the produce bins and feed the girls a week worth of scraps. Right now, they're in the backyard gorging themselves on a veritable smorgasbord of raw veggie scraps. All the veggies really contribute a great deal to the hen's diets, for variety, health and financial reasons. All those wonderful scrappy-bits are the reasons our eggs have orange yolks instead of yellow. And it makes for some happy, albeit spoiled hens.
No comments:
Post a Comment