Thursday, February 19, 2009

Signs of Life

Things are really taking off in my little laundry room/greenhouse. Signs of life that mean spring is right around the corner. And I am so ready for it. To have been a relatively 'easy' winter, it's very possibly the longest doggone winter on record.





So far everything is growing beautifully, especially the herbs. Garlic chives, thyme and a million varieties of basil. Just a few more months and I'll have so much pesto I won't know what to do! But I know what I'll do....I'll put up a sign in the front yard....'Honk for Herbs!' and sell them by the bundle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting! I love reading about all the successful seed starting going on this time of year. It's been a "easy" winter more or less here too, it seems. But yipes, it feels very long just about now. Your garlic chives, what seeds did you use? How do you start them?

Andrea said...

The garlic chives, I used seeds from Baker Creek and started them like all the other herbs. I put them up on top of the furnace trunklines til they start to sprout and then move them under the growlights. I considered one of the heated germination mats, but they're so small and so dang expensive! The furnace did the job just fine!