
Boy, this year has been all about the challenges, huh? This is one I'm definitely up for. This is the last year we'll be buying our seeds or plants. With a few exceptions of course. This is the year we become independent of seed companies and do what thousands of generations before us have done...save our seeds to grow our garden. Then reclaim those seeds from the fruits of our labor. What a simple, beautiful concept, an art form that's been lost.
I began saving seeds last year; herbs, tomatoes, etc. But this year, I'll be devoting a large amount of time and energy to making sure we have plenty of pure seeds for 2010. My main concern will be keeping strains pure...and to do that will require a good deal of creative planting. So don't be surprised if you find vegetables popping up in flower beds, flower pots, you name it. But that's one step closer to a more independent lifestyle, right?
2 comments:
I'm thinking hard about possibly making cheesecloth bags (or something similar) to help keep from cross contaminating stuff *and* to keep the nasty vermin from eating 50% of my garden. Won't look very *pretty*, though, and as that is a requirement at the co-op, this is hard to figure out. Maybe a very fine sheer net fabric like a tulle with a very fine mesh might work and not be so ugly? Hmmm...
I saw the weather forecast for you guys, by the way and it's funny..usually when I hear about bad weather headed to friends out of the area I worry about how they'll handle it but, dang girl, I know you guys are super prepared and will handle it like troopers, so I wasn't worried, just annoyed on your behalf.
My main worry for us here is that they'll cancel the buses this afternoon on account of snow. They almost did that recently when we had a snowfall that was similar. I get marked down 1 point if I am an hour or more late, or call in sick. I get marked down "half a point" everytime I am late beyond 7 minutes, but not more than 1 hour, and after 3 points I am fired. I have 1 point from being ill and 1/2 point from being late due to a bus once running 40 minutes late (and I was only planning to get to work 20 minutes early). My shift starts at 2:30, I am leaving the house at 12:55 for the bus which goes by my bus stop at 1:15 and is supposed to arrive at my workplace stop at 1:34. If that doesn't get me there on time, I am giving up trying to estimate bus timing in snow and will walk the 4.65 miles there in future instead.
In this economy I really couldn't afford to lose my job, especially with one of the 3 rival natural foods/speciality foods groceries we have here just putting out notice that they're going out of business soon.
Post a Comment