
It's kind of nice to know that the longest days of winter are already behind us and that it's time for life to begin anew. And nothing drives that point home like the influx of beautiful seed catalogs. Baker Creek is absolutely beautiful....if you haven't ordered a catalog from them, now is the time to do it! It's more a work of art than a sales ad. And they have so many exciting seeds available.
I know, it's pathetic. A grown woman getting *excited* over seed catalogs, but it's true. To me, they stand for freedom, infinite possibility and, oh yeah, good eatin'. Jeff has even become interested this year...when he picked out our pepper varieties and noticed that Thomas Jefferson grew the same type as we do. There's a strange sort of history to seeds and gardening in general. It provides a link to the past that is often lost in our 'Go Go Go' society. Just to think that the seeds in your hand may have been the fruit from a president's garden, or from a king's orchard. That this particular variety came over from the homeland on ships with a long gone ancestor. That if you went back 200 years, your grandparents may have been growing the very same food that you are today. There's something fascinating about that idea.
I hope beyond hope that my children will be as interested in gardening as I am. I'm sure they'll stray from the path at some point, but I hope they return to their roots and rediscover the same fascination that I feel. That they'll recall stories from their childhood, of playing in freshly tilled soil and watching seeds grow into lumbering plants, and pass them onto their children, along with the seeds they've inherited from me. That's sort of a dream of mine, I suppose. But dreams do come true, right?
2 comments:
What, no Richter's catalog? Mine just came in the mail on 12/31 and it's fabulous, too. And I learned something new....about Chia Pets, of all things! Chia is, apparently, a really awesome, nourishing seed the Atzecs used to give as "travelling food" for messengers. It has tons of vitamin C, Calcium, fiber, Omega-3s, Iron, and Potassium. Who new??
I *love* the seed catlogs...I'm finalizing my Richter's and Baker Creek choices this weekend (I have Fri/Sat off). Yay!
Forgiveness, Meg! I just discovered the Richter's site about a week ago, so it's hard to say when I'll get my catalog. But what a wonderful selection of herbs.
Chia, huh? Obnoxious and healthy at the same time. Ch ch ch Chia!
Post a Comment