Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Bye Bye Baby(fat) Part Deux
I'm doing quite well on my resolution to finally drop that baby weight. For good. Step one, quitting the high calorie drinks, was easy enough, and without realizing it I've been working on step two, after dinner snacking. We've been eating dinner a good deal later in the evenings, closer to 6 or so. So by the time dinner is finished and the dishes are loaded and everything is cleaned up, it's easily 7, and who's hungry then? Not me. I'm going to work on the after dinner snacking for another week before I begin step number 3, skipping meals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Best of luck on your road in our common struggle!
I would recommend not skipping meals tho. The body needs fuel to burn fat efficiently. Without enough food, your body will actually go into a "survival mode" and your body will not burn fat, but store it because it thinks you are in a pinch.
I suggest some research before you make a decision to skip.
We got the Biggest loser cookbook and in it they suggest 3 meals and two healthy snacks (with recipes, of course). Other sources suggest 5 to smaller meals per day. Check it out, and again, best of luck!
that should say "5 to 7 smaller meals." Sorry. (redfaced!)
I agree on the not skipping meals thing. Will slow your metabolism down. I'm vegetarian and eat 4-6 mini-meals a day and, until my medications messed with things and caused weight gain, I was 5'8" and 125 lbs, despite eating so often. Without actually "dieting" or trying hard to lose weight I've managed to lose 10 to 12 pounds since I got switched to my new meds, and that's even with me eating yummy decadent desserts from my work's bakery department! When I've skipped meals regularly (due to being too busy/stressed/depressed at work at a former job to eat properly/regularly) I actually gained 15 pounds because my body was hanging on to everything I ate...
Besides, how will you have enough energy to run around after your 2 & garden & preserve, etc., if you skip meals?
Sounds weird, I know, but try eatin on little plates if you're concerned about portion control from frequent eating. We mostly use small plates because we have a tendancy to load the plate too much if it's big, and then we can only eat half the meal and the dogs get the rest! I love my dogs, but they don't get to eat that much of my food!
The thing is, I don't skip meals intentionally. It just sort of happens. I guess I should have said 'missing meals' instead of skipping.
We wake up in the morning, make coffee and then those kids are off and running! So I usually just grab whatever is close at hand and snack instead of sitting down and eating. I know. Bad mommy.
Lunch is the same way quite often. Instead of sitting down with the kids I'm loading the dishwasher, giving refills, wiping catsup off the walls, that sort of thing.
So I'm not skipping meals purposefully. It just sort of happens that way. I've gotten out of my good habits of 3 good meals and 3 good snacks.
Thanks for all your encouraging thoughts though. I figure baby steps will help me take off the weight and develop good habits at the same time. I've been trying to have either whole wheat toast or oatmeal with my coffee in the mornings, so maybe I can get back into that good routine a little more quickly.
Phew, OK, good to hear....I read the entry twice half hour apart before commenting to make sure it came across the same way to me (to make sure I didn't misinterpret by reading too quickly or while distracted) and I was just a little worried, so I had to say something. Glad to know I just wasn't understanding the shorthand! Phew!
Post a Comment