Since we had our budget 'cramp' 2 or 3 weeks ago and had a 'buy nothing week', I've found myself becoming more imaginative in using the food we preserved last summer. It's hard to feel cold, dreary or sick of winter when you're eating all that wonderful food from the height of summer bounty. I find that our staple meals are coming more and more from our pantry or freezer and that there are fewer leftovers....which is always good!
Tonight our dinner was chicken with noodles, fresh/frozen broccoli, squash souffle and homemade mozzarella & black pepper bread. Omigosh was it delicious! Yes, the chicken came from the store, but all the rest, they were mine, baby! Mara and Isaac ate no fewer than 3 servings each of broccoli, so apparently it just hit the spot. And the squash souffle, wow, it tastes so much like pumpkin pie, without the crust to weigh it down. The bread was also incredible...a variation on 'Meg's Famous Cheese Herb Bread'.
I feel like I'm really getting a handle on eating seasonally, locally and from my food stores. Once you're in the 'pantry' mindset, it's so easy to find meals lurking on the shelves of your pantry, fridge and freezer. And it's so nice knowing that all that free food is not only delicious, but nutritious; no preservatives, additives, pesticides or weird chemicals. What my kids are eating is as wholesome as food can get.
1 comment:
Yay!!! I love this entry because this is how I feel, too. People who don't understand my canning and freezing, saying I'm crazy to do all that mostly in the heat of summer/early fall are the same people buying out of season produce and whining about how they miss summer produce....I sometimes want to say "ya should've put some up when you had the chance...since you didn't it is potatoes, hard squash, and storage apples for you!!"
Post a Comment