is never done and, praise God, I'm thrilled about it! We were blessed with the opportunity to glean the leftovers at a wonderful local orchard and I tell you, I felt like a kid in a candy store! We left with four 5 gallon buckets of a variety of apples....Macs, Empires, Yellow Delicious, and several varieties that I don't know the names for. They'll be sauced, dried or frozen and the 'firsts' will be left for eating later on.

THEN, after that haul, we drove down the road to my step dad's rental, hoping for a few pears. We left with more than 10 gallons, plus a huge bag of walnuts. And having run out of bags today, I'm going back for more tomorrow! My kids will be eating canned pears from now til Doom's Day if I have any say in the matter. Thankfully, they love pears, so that's a joy for them and not a punishment.

I think initially Jeff was a little embarrassed that we were scavenging around for free food, but he got over really quickly. You just can't pass up good produce and nuts are so expensive. With our economy in the toilet and the job scene looking iffy, there's no way I'm passing up basic hearty food like apples, pears and nuts. Those are staples in this house, and in a pinch could provide both vitamins and variety to a boring diet. I keep telling Jeff that in many ways, we need to go into Depression mode. I don't mean panicking and hoarding weapons....but why not stock up on a little extra of the things we use on a daily basis? And if free food is there for the taking, put your pride to the side and grab a bag. Get pickin' mister!
No comments:
Post a Comment