October/November has to be one of my two favorites times of the year. First is springtime, when the grass is greening-up again, the flowers are blooming and the air is fresh. Second is fall, when things slow down and the air is crisp. There's just something about the cool October air that draws me inside, under a blanket with Arsenic and Old Lace in the DVD player and a hot mug of Constant Comment tea, sweetened with honey. That's my kind of an afternoon. Invariably, I wind up feeling giddy about the holidays, making homemade gifts, decorating and all that sappy stuff. I know. It's not even Halloween and I'm wanting to put up my tree. Bad mommy. Bad!
In the past several years, we've been decreasing the number of people we buy for as well as the amount we spend on everyone. That may sound cheap, but priorities change and at some point you have to step back and examine why you're doing 'X' behavior. Because you want to or because you're expected to? Slowly but surely over the course of the past few years, we've reduced our shopping list to children, underage nieces and nephews and parents. At first it was odd; the tree was sort of bare underneath. There wasn't so much ripping of paper and dragging stuff home trying to find a home for something you really don't need or want. But now that we're into that mindset, it's wonderful. Less stress, less anxiety, and definitely less debt. I also feel like this allows me to be more creative with my gift giving and whom I buy for. Which leads me to the topic of this post.....
Watcha doin' for the holidays? Or should I say, watcha making for the holidays? This year, I've been toying around with felted wool items...slippers, hats, mittens, potholders, etc. Also goodies from the garden; jellies, jams, dried herbs. And goods from the pantry; cakes, cookies, shortbreads, etc. I'm always on the lookout for new and wonderful creativities, so would you care to share?
No comments:
Post a Comment