Sunday, January 13, 2013

Happy Sunday!

Good morning, friends!  The Lord is risen!

Yes, it's been a while.  Again.  We managed to get through the holidays relatively intact and I am certainly glad to be back to a normal schedule.   

I don't know what the weather is like in your neighborhood, but here, it's typical Ohio.  Yesterday we had a high of 68 degrees, tomorrow, snow.  Such is life in the Buckeye state.  It was so refreshing to have the back door open and enjoy the fresh air...and it so made me long for spring and gardening.  It's so funny....long about October, I'm sick of canning, sick of weeding, sick of gardening and can't wait to sit down and do little or nothing; 3 months later, I'm dying to get back out there.  

So a friend's post has me thinking ahead to the coming year and the skills, projects I'd like to accomplish.  I have my typical "lose 10lbs and be a better person" New Year resolutions, but then I have my 'real' resolutions and goals for the year.  Here's what I'm planning/scheming/hoping for 2013:

A smokehouse- Nothing fancy just a little 4X4 shed at the back of the lot for smoking meats, cheeses, etc.  And I'm hoping that we may be able to make it double duty and use it for a sugar shack next year.  Don't know if that will work, but that's what I have in mind.

A dog-  We've been tossing around the idea of a dog for several years and I think I'm nearly ready to commit.  We've adopted a stray cat that was living under our deck for a number of months and THAT hasn't been too bad.  I think I could probably get used to a dog now; I'm not sure if Bucky the Cat would agree though.

Medicinal herb garden- This year, I'm planning on a couple new berry bushes, but the bulk of my gardening budget is going towards medicinal herbs.  I'm looking at perennials with anti-bac/anti-emetic properties plus a couple other fun things like elderberries and chamomile.  I don't know where in the world we'll put that garden, but I'll find a way. 

Chickens- I really miss my chickens.  I think I may be ready to try chickens again.  Maybe. 

Greenhouse- I'm still wanting a greenhouse, very very badly.  Just a small one attached to the side of the shed.  Nothing fancy, just something for hardening off seedlings and maybe growing some winter greens?

So that's what I've got on my agenda for 2013.  As I mentioned in my last post 2011/2012 were the worst, most difficult years of my life (thus far) and I'm really anxious for 2013 to be an improvement.  My overall goal is to keep moving forward; I can't change the events of the past 2 years, but I can keep on moving forward, growing and learning. 

Have a blessed Sunday, everyone!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My heart gave a little leap for joy when I saw you posted! :-) So good to see you back here!
Blessings for a wonderful 2013!
Amy

Andrea said...

Hi Amy! Thanks for the encouragement...doing much better since I talked to you in August. I firmly believe that God put me on your heart that day for a reason...I needed loved on by my sisters!

Rachel said...

Glad you're back! I knew you and your mom both had your battles with cancer in the last two years but I thought many things were going well. I'm sad to hear you say these were the hardest years of your life. I certainly hope 2013 is better. These last two were also the worst of my life with my mom trying to get through a Phoenix summer without her air conditioner and getting severely dehydrated (we found her on the floor after having been out of town for a few days) and then failed back surgery for me this past fall. The Dr. cut a nerve he shouldn't have and it will likely be 12 - 18 months recovery. But I have so much to be thankful for and 2013 is looking up. Excited for you to start posting again!