Sunday, October 23, 2011

Product Replacement: Hummus

So if you recall from a couple weeks ago, I'm endeavoring to replace commercial/processed foods with healthy, homemade alternatives.  Some products are easy.  Tomato sauce.  Pasta sauce.  Jellies and jams.  Canned veggies.  Easy peasy.  Some items I'm finding a little more difficult, specifically condiments.  Boy, once you get your taste buds content with Brand X salad dressing or ketchup, it can be difficult to convince them that homemade is better.  Darned taste buds.  But I'm still plugging away and I found a really good knock-off of one of our favorite products.   

I made hummus. 

I love hummus, but hummus, really good hummus anyway, can be quite the expensive for even the smallest package.   But I'm not sure this qualifies as a product replacement.  Yes, it's made from scratch, but it's made from commercial ingredients, so I'm not sure if hummus really counts.  It's not like I grew the chickpeas, but it's a start I suppose.  Baby steps, friends, baby steps.

So here's the recipe I found very pleasant.

2 cups of very soft-cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup of reserved bean liquid
2T lemon juice
2-3 T tahini
3 cloves garlic
1/2 t salt
2T olive oil

In a blender or food processor, combine the first 6 ingredients and pulse til very, very smooth.  This may take 5 minutes or more of processing so just be patient.  Now the oil.  Some people like it drizzled over top.  Some people like it mixed into the dip.  I like it either way, so it's up to you.  If you like creamy hummus, add it to the food processor and blend it right in.  If not, just drizzle the oil over top.

Now top it with your favorite goodies.  More garlic.  Roasted red peppers.  Artichoke hearts.  Whatever.  We eat it with pita chips, on wraps or as a dip for veggies.  Pack it right into your lunch box for a filling lunch.

Next up: salad dressing and pita pockets.  

8 comments:

Tulip said...

That's awesome! I like hummus but wouldn't have thought to make my own.. It is expensive, I haven't bought it in over a year. Good for you!

farmgal said...

Nice Recipe, I really like humus but hubby does not, so its made as a treat now and again but when you are the only one that eats it, a can makes alot, I have not been able to freeze it well and I tried making small batches with freshly cooked chick pea's, taste's wonderful and I really liked it going in but wow, need Beano when you eat it.. Maybe I should cook some up and can them into little half pint jars so I can make small batches.. beat that would work.

Andrea said...

I love hummus, but it's so expensive! Like $4 for a little bowl! Crazy. The kids don't care for hummus, so I normally add some hot pepper flakes to give it a real kick!

Jenny said...

We love it too! This makes me want to make a batch! That is pretty much the recipe I use for ours. Tahini used to be hard to get, and now more places carry it! Love it from scratch, and especially without the preservatives! The boys can eat a whole container of it in one sitting when I bought it, so I normally have no trouble with needing small batches. My Aunt gets Joyva Tahini from a health food store, and gave me a can in the spring! It has lasted me almost 6 months!

suek said...

I have a live in "daughter" ...

She's on some kind of a food kick - I haven't deciphered exactly what it is - but she's started making all sorts of things from scratch, and eating raw veggies, and using a juicer. Hummus was an early trial item.

I knew she needed tahini, so started looking at my local Albertson's. The exchange between me and several clerks was just short of hysterical:

Me: "Do you stock tahini?"
Clerk: "Zucchini"
Me: "No, tahini"
Clerk: " Zucchini"
Me: "Tahini"

Clerk to passing clerk:"Do we stock tahini?"
Clerk 2: "Zucchini?"
Clerk 1: "No, tahini".

We got 4 clerks involved, each one with the same zucchini/tahini routine. We all ended up with the giggles. Finally, someone said look in the Asian food area, and that's where we found it.

Then I went to Von's, and believe it or not, went through the same routine. I think we only got up to 3 clerks there before I was directed to the Jewish food section. Price in both stores was nearly the same, and both carried the same brand.

It's the tahini that's expensive and makes the store bought hummus expensive, I think. On the other hand, when you consider how many sesame seeds it would take to crush into the tahini, at about $8 for about 8-10 ounces of tahini, maybe it's a deal.

Anyone know what a sesame seed plant looks like? After the great tahini hunt, I realized I had no idea what a sesame plant looked like. Did a bit of a search online, but didn't find anything.

Chief Instructor said...

My local grocery as a hummus powder in the bulk section. Add water, oil, tahini, lemon juice and let sit, and it's pretty darned good. Not quite as good as fresh-made, but good enough to make it into our prep storage. I'm guessing if TSHTF, it will taste REAL good!

Andrea said...

J-I wish I could get the kids to eat hummus...beans just aren't high on their list but they're slowly adapting.

Chief-That hummus powder sounds like nothing more than dehydrated chickpeas and garlic. No reason a person couldn't make that at home, right?

Bitsy said...

Mmmmmm... I love hummus. I've tried making my own but never found a recipe I really liked. Maybe I'll try yours!