I think fall is really here now.
It's chilly, with highs only in the 60's for the rest of the week. And rain. And clouds. Typical Ohio weather. But if you don't like it, just wait a few minutes.
So we've started clearing out the garden and brought in a half-bushel of ripe tomatoes that have survived the recent weather. And we also brought in a goodly amount of green tomatoes to ripen in the basement. I must admit that I resorted to bribery to get Mr. to help clear off the garden because no one in this house likes that job. The bribe: help me clear the dead plants and you can use the rotten tomatoes and gnarly eggplants for target practice.
Yep.
That worked.
We still have much to do, but the miserable weather is holding things up. The good news is the beets and turnips are nearly ready to pick and pickle. As are the remaining potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions and squash. Despite a loathesome growing season, we're putting up plenty to eat.
Speaking of beets, in general, there are only 2 vegetables I refuse to eat: beets and swiss chard. They taste the same to me and I can't stand the overly-sweet flavor. I was determined to like beets this year and I found a way that I not only tolerate them, but actually enjoy them. Boil them, peel them and slice them then make up the typical sweet pickling syrup. Next add some......jalapeno pepper slices.
Don't shudder.
Really.
The spicy pepper zing cuts through the syrupy-sweet and adds a whole 'nother layer of flavor. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've gone through 2 whole pints of spicy pickled beets...almost by myself. They're just soooo good. Next year, we'll be dedicating an entire raised bed to beets so I can enjoy pints upon pints of spicy beet goodness.
Anyway, that's what's going on around my homestead. What's going on around yours?
10 comments:
Have you ever had "Harvard" beets? Basically a sliced beet with vinegar added to the liquid along with cornstarch, then heated until thickened.
Definitely takes the "sweet" out of the beet!
I've never thought of beets as sweet - but my understanding is that chard is a derivative of beets, somehow. And of course, there are sugar beets...I have no idea if they're actually related, or just named that because there are similarities in appearance...
Yes, my mom makes harvard beets every year for the holidays...they're okay, but not my favorite. Throw some hot peppers in there and I can eat them right out of the jar!
I gave up on my pumpkins here in AZ. I got them in about a month late and only had one marble sized pumpkin on one plant (out of 3)after 1.5 months. They were taking up so much room and they didn't look healthy. I figured there's no way any were going to get to full size by Halloween. I've planted two beds for fall, one with Brussels sprouts, celery, and kale. Never planed brussels sprouts or celery before so I don't know how they'll do. The other bed has cauliflower, broccoli, and broccoli raab. Not sure how they'll do either. Last year I forgot I planted a green variety of cauliflower and kept thinking maybe my cauliflower had crossed with the broccoli! I don't remember if we even ate any of it. Within the next week or so I need to get the beets and lettuces and carrots planted. It seems like our seasons are so opposite yours. Speaking of beets, have you tried them roasted? I roast them at 400F with olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper. They taste like roasted carrots with a hint of dirt. Beets always taste like dirt to me. I don't get that sweet taste you mentioned.
Sounds like you had a great harvest despite the crazy weather this summer. Did not get much from the garden this year, but managed to get a few things put up. Talked to a few local farmers and their harvests were not as plentiful as recent years. Heading to SIL to pick grapes. Will be putting up lots of grape juice for drinking and jelly. Also managed to get more tomatoes (canning and Romas) on the super cheap, so been canning them and doing Salsa tomorrow.
The beet recipe sounds like something my hubby would really enjoy. Gonna try that next year.
Rachel-
Ohio weather is so unpredictable, especially in spring and fall. I blame Canada :) Sounds like you're having a great season, depsite the pumpkins! I've never had roasted beets, but I'm intriguued. I guess beets, to me, have the same over-sweet flavor as carrots...dirt+sweet...and I've only trained myself to eat carrots in the past few years.
Shelly-I can't believe you're still getting tomatoes! Our plants are dead. The tomatoes are rotten. What zone are you in now?
Hi Andrea
Garden is still going strong, still bringing in tomato's, peppers and for heaven sakes some cucumbers and the last of the fresh corn, still have lots of greens and most of the root veggies to go yet.
zone 5, and so far only covered one night for risk of frost.
I second that baked beets, its my favorite way to do them, wash well, leave tops by about an inch and the tail on, and bake till fork soft, then cool for just the time required to handle and slip the skins, top and tail off and then if little serve whole with a dizzle of butter, and salt, if bigger, diced into cubes, dizzle with butter, vinager and a touch of salt/pepper, heavenly, I can eat them by the bowlful for lunches when hubby is at work.
Beets and sweet potatoes are in the same category for me: There needs to be nothing else available to eat, including canned dog food and old, moldy bread ;-)
Seriously dislike them both.
Now, Swiss Chard, that's another story. Love it. Big pot, boil it up with a beef stock, toss in some pearled barley, chunked up meat, potatoes, mmmmmmmm.
I like it chopped up and sauted as a side dish as well. Olive oil, balsamic vinegar, bacon, parm cheese. Bring it!
I'll have to try swiss chard again...it's been a few years since I've tried it...and I never tried it topped with with garlic, cheese, etc.
Re: your next year's beet patch...
I'm doing some cleaning out and ran across an article about rows vs raised beds. The author illustrated beets in a row - space taken was 10 square feet, one foot wide by 10 feet long. Beets harvested was something like 20-25 (six inch intervals). The raised bed was 3 ft by 3.5 feet - still about 10 square feet, but by planting staggered rows you still got the same spacing but about twice to three times the crop.
Pictures are definitely worth a thousand words...!
I gave you a Liebster award. Check it out...http://littlepatchofheavenhomestead.blogspot.com/2011/09/blog-love.html
Love your blog!
Post a Comment