Monday, September 26, 2011

2 Fun Weekends-In Pictures

Fall in Ohio is the greatest.  You can count on a handful of harvest festivals, culture fests, car shows or parties each weekend.  Mainly good, clean family fun.  And mostly affordable too!

Last weekend, we went to a Wool-Gathering Festival at Young's Jersey Dairy. There were sheep, alpacas, goats, rabbits, shearing demonstrations, games.  And the only picture I took was Isaac engineering.  He took a chocolate shake.  He took a mint shake.  And with 2 straws, engineered a mint-chocolate shake.
Genius :)

This weekend, my mom's neighborhood hosted a block party with a car show.  I say car, but all sorts of interesting vehicles showed up.


John Deere tractors.


Ford tractors.


Classic cars.


This beast:


Harleys.


And Austin-Healeys.


Most of the family turned up.  Here's my step-dad, Jeff -in the yellow- with his co-workers.  (The only reason he's smiling is because he thought he kept his back turned long enough for me to give up on taking a picture.  He didn't.  I was quite patient.)


And Aunt Teresa and "Monkey" Ron


And The Mister, in the Ohio State shirt.


And my slightly wind-blown Mama -second from left- with her long-time girlfriends.


And one heckuva homemade-ugly smoker contraption.  We gotta make one of these!


And if all of that wasn't excitement enough, we had another stray deposited on our doorstep this weekend.  I don't mind an outside cat, but whoever is thinking this cat will come inside is just plain nuts.



One good swat across the forearm convinced Mara that maybe cats aren't as great as she previously thought.


And there's more to come.

This coming weekend:
-A Making Strides walk for which Mara requested a hot pink tutu and cowboy hat.
-The 35th annual Fall Festival at Young's Jersey - this link is safe to open at work, though the 'mooing' may draw a lot of attention.

Next weekend:
The annual Apple Butter Festival in Enon, Ohio
The Sauerkraut Festival in Waynesville, Ohio

And in the coming weeks:
Fall Festival at FCC.

Sigh.

Isn't fall the greatest?

What fun stuff is going on in your area?

4 comments:

Lea said...

You are making me homesick! back in the 70's when Youngs was just a hole in the wall we use to load in those old type cars your mom showed and get milkshakes! Here in NC we don't have festivals like this..

Andrea said...

Have you been to Youngs in the past 10 years? It's like everything they touch turns to gold. Big restaurant. Driving range. Christmas tree farm. Still free to pet the goats, though :)

Sounds like you need to make a trip back home soon....

Bitsy said...

We probably have lots of festivals and such going on around here. I try to get to a few when I can. I enjoy them, but Hubby hates them. He finds them a boring waste of time. I think it's good for the kids, though, so I make him go whenever I can. ;)

Andrea said...

Some festivals are just a boring waste of time....but I really enjoy the ones with old-timey demonstrations and handmade goods. THey make such nice Christmas gifts :)