Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Update on the Villain

Some of you were wondering how my mom is doing in her battle with The Villain and I thought I'd give you an update: 

She's doing great!

She's more than half-way through the first phase of chemo and so far, no reactions, no side effects, only a bit of fatigue.  We're beginning to see cycles in her energy levels and that makes it easier to schedule important stuff, like days off of work.

She's 5 weeks away from the start of the second, more difficult phase of chemo, which will entail weekly treatments for 3 months.  The doctor said she should expect to be knocked flat on her backside during this particular treatment.  So October, November and December are going to be difficult...especially when you factor in the holiday activities.     

Though she dislikes it very much, she has the most amazing wig ever.  In fact, once the chemo is over, I think she should strongly consider a comparable cut/color.  My father-in-law went so far to say that my mom looks more youthful now than before.  Which is saying something when you consider how youthful my mom looked before.

Her blood counts and lab work and such are all coming back fine. 

Her weight is good. 

Her appetite is good. 

Energy sort of fluctuates, but for the most part, good. 

Spirits are good. 

Hope is alive. 

1 comment:

suek said...

I went through surgery and had a chemo follow up. It was supposed to be on a particular schedule, but my red blood cells didn't increase adequately, so whatever the schedule was (I don't remember), it got extended slightly.

I still remember getting nauseous when we got to the base of the off-ramp going to the doctor's office. I thought it was pretty funny, and mentioned it to the nurse, She said that she had one patient who told her that when she happened to meet her in a mall while shopping, she(the patient)started feeling nauseous the moment she saw her(the nurse's) face. Boy! wouldn't _that_ make you feel great!

Well.. the important thing is that it's temporary discomfort, and it's the long run that's important.