![]() |
| Credit: WikiMedia |
I think I figured it out.
Sweet sorghum.
Now if you're from anywhere outside of the Appalachians, you may not know what sorghum is.
It's NOT molasses, though it's often used interchangeably. Molasses, created from sugar cane, is dark and often bitter with a very distinct flavor that is difficult to disguise. Sorghum is sweet and mild, with a rich gold color, transparent when held up to the light. It can be grown anywhere corn grows. Isn't susceptible to many diseases. And when crushed and boiled down, makes the most delicious syrup for biscuits or pancakes.
The best part: sorghum is hard to find in my area, despite the disproportionate number of Appalachians living in the tri-state area. We literally have to drive to Kentucky, Indiana or an Amish/Mennonite area to find sorghum. That's a long way to drive for a smackeral of something sweet.
So I'm going to grow sorghum.
In researching, I've discovered that sorghum presses are crazy expensive, but that many (if not most) small scale homesteads mill their sorghum with old washing machine wringers. Yep. You read that right. Same basic roller/crusher mechanism as a sorghum mill, but without the $4000 price tag. And thankfully my cousins own an antique shop 3 miles away, as the crow flies. And thankfully, wringers can be found for under $40.
I know it sounds crazy and I don't expect to put Isaac through college on sorghum earnings, but if I can produce enough to supply our (that is MY) needs and maybe enough to share with family and friends, then I think it's a winning venture. It will be a product uniquely my own as no one I know produces sorghum. I know bee keepers and maple syrup makers, but no sorghum growers. And with the bee issues and maple blights threatening production, being able to grow another all-natural sweetener may be the way to go. Plus, as a bonus, the seeds can be popped like popcorn or ground into a flour substitute perfect for people with wheat allergies.
I can't imagine how this could be a losing prospect. Can you???

13 comments:
I think its a great idea, and want to know more, I hope you will share more info on how its grown, made etc, what is the sugar count etc.
It sounds fairly easy to grow...it looks like corn minus the ear of corn. I found a lot of great information at various homesteading forums on the net.
It does sound like a great idea! And you've apparently thought it out. I've ever tasted sorghum, but you've made me curious, that's for sure!
Amy, sorghum is a huge part of my culture! It's the same color and texture as honey but has a very, very mild flavor. When we were growing up, my grandpa would warm some up and add a pinch of baking soda and it would bubble up into a creamy foam that we'd top biscuits with.
I think I gained 5 lbs just thinking about it.
This is a great idea! I can't wait to hear about the adventure!
I think it's a great idea! If we had enough land suitable for it, I'd try it too. I've tasted it at festivals and can't say I like the taste alone, but cooking with it will be nice.
I think sorghum is one of the crops grown by subsistence farmers around the world, along with peanuts and a few others that I can't remember right now. Good luck with your new venture!
I agree with Farmgirl. I am anxious to follow your progress, and I am excited for you. Please keep us posted.
I appreciate all the encouragement! I'm really excited to try it and I think it will look beautiful growing at the back of the lot behind the fence.
What a great idea, can't wait to hear more!
I must say, you've piqued my interest! I checked around to see how much you've got to plant to get enough juice. I saw where 1/2 acre can result in between 20 and 40 gallons of the stuff. Very cool! I hope you keep us apprised of your efforts.
I did some tests on making syrups that you might find helpful.
http://bisonrma.blogspot.com/2010/02/making-syrups.html
Chief-
The stats I read from the KySU suggested that 100 stalks will produce about 6 gallons of juice. I figure our lot is approx. 90 feet wide, so each row of sorghum across the back will produce around 6 gallons of juice. Times 5-6 rows equals 30-36 gallons of juice which will cook down to about 3-4 gallons of sorghum. Which doesn't sound like a LOT, but a couple pints of it will last us a year. So plenty to share!
Very interesting. I'm curious to see how this turns out for you. Good luck!
Post a Comment